Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duration of an army Commission in the Permanent Defence Forces

Options
  • 02-04-2008 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    I have my inteview for the army cadets very shortly. I am trying to figure out how long the commission is for? I know the air corps is 12 years but i cant find out anything on the army. All responses are appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

army used to be 12 years too but as far as i know its changed recently enough so i think you would be looking at more than that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Once commissioned you keep your commission for life.

I think you are wondering how long your contract is for?

- If you are a graduate you may leave anytime you wish.

-If you are a school leaver and decide to go to college through the USAC scheme you "owe" back three years for every year in college. Although in Army terms this is 10 years fr a three year degree or 12 for a four year degree. For this period you will be required to sign an undertaking stating that you wont leave during this period. If you wish to do so you can buy out however this is ridicioulsy expensive going well into 6 figures.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I was told it's 5 years now by two officers. Although they were commissioned several years ago so maybe their information was second hand or incorrect.

Edit: Thanks for clearing that up ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

asterix wrote: »
    If you wish to do so you can buy out however this is ridicioulsy expensive going well into 6 figures.

Are you sure it is this much? What about for privates and NCO's?

I think they sign a 5 year contract so I'd imagine it's probably less expensive to do that compared to a 12 year contract or however many years are left.

• Advertisement

300 euro for a private to buy out within the first 5 years of the contract, assuming they have no major courses done, so how its well into 6 figures for an officer i dunno!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

king-stew wrote: »
    300 euro for a private to buy out within the first 5 years of the contract, assuming they have no major courses done, so how its well into 6 figures for an officer i dunno!?!?

You have to pay back your degree for a start. It's not 6 figures. It's 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭twinytwo

kermit_ie wrote: »

This is why im finishing my degree before i apply.... hopefully next year:P

kermit_ie wrote: »

thats a bit more like it, big difference between 6 and 5 figures.....90,000 differences to be exact!!! :p

must be a degree in rocket science!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

king-stew wrote: »
    thats a bit more like it, big difference between 6 and 5 figures.....90,000 differences to be exact!!! :p

must be a degree in rocket science!

Actually there is a €1 difference but that is semantics really!!!

How much would it be?? Do you have to pay back every cent?

i.e. A 4 year course at ~€10,000 a year = €40,000
    Registration for coutse ~€850 a year = € 3,400
    Materials and Books ~€2000 = € 2,000
    Accomodation ~€3000 a year = €12,000

So that could be almost €60,000 just for college.

Then you have to actually buy your way out of your contract..

The only real way to do this in my opinion would be to win the lotto or to get a large Company to buy out your Contract.

That is if I am right about this that you must pay it all back.

• Advertisement

Its def a 6 figure sum, but that'd be if you left straight after your degree, time served after that reduces the principal. It includes some of your wages if I recall properly. If you do wish to leave you have to apply for permission first and then if granted ring finance branch to get them to calculate your buy out.

Its being recalculated at the moment as it doesn't take into consideration time spent in your unit during the college holidays or weekends when you might be on duty. The new proposal is 3 days for every day in college.

To answer minidazzler - you have to pay back every cent for you fees. Not that many people leave before their undertaking is up and even when it is up many will stay another 2 -3 years to bring them up to their 20 so they can get their pension. eg 2 years in the cadet school, 1 in the unit, 4 in college, 12 year undertaking = 19 years - 1 more and its pension time.

If they do leave its often as you suggested where a company/family member buys them out.

The 12 year undertaking is not in addition to your degree + unit time, it includes it.

Kermit - unless it was changed very recently you're wrong. It starts from when you finish college.

I think you are confused slightly. On commissioning, you undertake not to leave within 12 years, and if so, you refund the minister some money. If you go to college, you undertake, on graduation, that if you leave within 8 (?) years that you will refund the minister the cost of your degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭milmo

Army officers are not obliged to serve a minimum period unless they are put though third level education at the Ministers expense.

An officer owes the Minister three years for every academic year spent in third level education. A three year course requires that an officer signs an undertaking of ten year. A four year course requires that an officer signs an undertaking of twelve years.

This starts from when you graduate. It does not include previous service (cadetship, service in a unit,time in college etc).

There are moves afoot to renegotiate the calculations from 1yr college=3 years service to 1 day college=3 days service. This would be a fairer system because an officer is only in college for seven months during a year and the rest of the time is spent in their units.

If an officer wishes to leave the service before his contract is up he must reimburse the Minister. The total amount owed is based on wages paid whilst in college, college fees, books, materials, and any other costs incurred by the officer and borne by the Minister. The total cost is divided by 10 in the case of a ten year contract (and 12 for a 12 year) and a tenth of the overall sum is deducted for every year served until the contract is up

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Civil Def

Ive just gone for the naval and army interviews for the cadetships has anyone got an idea when i get notification if im through or not:confused::confused:

Advertisement