Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on paint colour for sitting room

• 02-04-2008 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

hello

i have just moved into new home. which was all painted magnolia by the builders. i bought a 3 + 2 suite which i love...but the colour is a darkish cream (has specs of brown in the fabric) looks lovely against my medium/dark wood floors....but not so nice against magnolia...
    does anyone have any suggestions of what colour i should paint the walls?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

go wild. magnolia is the most boring tcolour imaginable in what is supposed to be the showcase room of your house. there's nothing really holding you back apart from the lighting in the room, ie, too dark a room go light, etc.
    take a look around, and maybe take a look at a few magazines etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

ya id like to keep it a light colour...going a darker colour will make the room too dark, as its a long narrow room. and the window is small enough.
    i think ive spent about 300 euro on those magazines in the last few months...and i havent used one idea from them yet! i loved some of the ideas from them allright...but ive ended up doing my own thing in the end. now im just stuck on the paint...cause i hadnt actually considered changing the colour at all from a budget point of view....until i bought the suite...the suite only came in one colour and i just had to have it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

hmm, you have your suite, have you got your curtains yet?
    you're probably just as well to go with a lightish coulour, though this may be stating the obvious. a warm cream maybe? the shape and brightness of the room will hold you back from going hog wild, but if you find the right colour it'll look grand. Have you tried out any colours on the wall yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

I'm not even going to try to help you choose a colour but I hear a lot of people complaining about the colour builders choose. I would just like to point out that generally speaking the paint a builder uses is meant to be painted over, its just to make sure the first coat is done properly. Where`builders don't do the first coat, householders often use inappropriate paint or wrong method leaving a problem that paint wont stay on the walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

How about one of the lovely feature wall wallpapers? You could leave the rest of the room magnolia or a cream that will blend with your suite.

A few samples here:

http://www.wallpaperstogo.com/collections/collection8040.htm

Homebase are doing some great ones at the moment, at a good price.

EDIT: A kind of minty fresh light creamy green colour would go with your colours. (lol - ya know what I mean!)

• Advertisement

blindman wrote: »
    I'm not even going to try to help you choose a colour but I hear a lot of people complaining about the colour builders choose. I would just like to point out that generally speaking the paint a builder uses is meant to be painted over, its just to make sure the first coat is done properly. Where`builders don't do the first coat, householders often use inappropriate paint or wrong method leaving a problem that paint wont stay on the walls.

I never knew that, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

thanks for all the replies. no, i havent got the curtains yet...a sheet stuck on the window for now!
    well the paint job by the builders isnt the best anyway...so it would want another coat.
    you know ive liked the wallpaper idea for ages...but now im not so keen, maybe ive just seen it on too many magazines!
    i was looking on the dulux website as they are advertising lately how u can choose a colour and they will choose some colours that compliment it....but i cant seem to find that part on the site..

I think this is the site your looking for:

http://www.dulux.ie/colours/index.jsp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

I'd go for something with a pink tone in it, warm and will match the colours that you have in the room already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

Hi
    Excuse me jumping in here as I need to ask:
    blindman wrote: »
    I would just like to point out that generally speaking the paint a builder uses is meant to be painted over, its just to make sure the first coat is done properly.
    Does that mean it has to be painted over immediately
    Where`builders don't do the first coat, householders often use inappropriate paint or wrong method leaving a problem that paint wont stay on the walls.
    You mean what the builders leave is only a first coat?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Does that mean it has to be painted over immediately
    No. generally its a good quality trade paint and if you are happy with the colour and finish you can live with it untill it needs painting.
    You mean what the builders leave is only a first coat?
    Number of coats may vary depending on builder and painter, type of wall ect. Note the use of the word generally, some builders know very little about painting newbuilds, the last house I lived in had a problem with paint peeling off walls, the problem was because house had been painted wrong first coat. 6 houses in the estate had this problem.
    Some info on painting bare walls here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055156633&highlight=painting+newbuild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

Thanks for that blindman:)I have now read it and in relation to damp and off topic -sorry- is it important to wait before fitting laminate flooring or lino?

No point in rushing these things. When concrete sets it's a chemical reaction. All the water user for mixing has to get out. A mate of mine who batches concrete says this can take two years.

Advertisement