Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - pet store problems

Options
  • 02-04-2008 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm here looking for advice on what course of action I can take with my local pet shop.

I originally bought a dwarf russian hamster from the shop back in September, I wanted to buy a pair as I thought they were reasonably sociable animals. The petshop worker told me that they were highly unsociable after a few weeks of weaning and that they can't be homed together as they'd kill eachother. After looking this up online afterwards I found that she may have been wrong.

I've been in a couple of times since looking for rat food and bedding, but they are always unfriendly and unknowlegable. They advised me to bed the rats in sawdust (which I knew not to do myself, luckily enough)

My problems came to a peak a week ago when I noticed that they had long haired syrian hamsters in stock. I came back a couple of days after I fisrt saw them to buy one, as they're really beautiful animals. Firstly the girl behind the counter wasn't aware that they had long haired syrians (I had to point them out to her myself), then when it came to taking the hamster out of the cage, she was afraid to handle them and tipped the cage sideways to get them out of their bed, then I had to put my own hand in to take out my ham. I noticed that the cage smelled awful, and was full of faeces. It clearly wasn't being cleaned out often enough. When I enquired about the gender of the animal she replied that she didn't know and she couldn't sex them. She also didn't know where it came from.
    So I brought my hamster home and when I took him out of the carry box I noticed that he/she felt very light and bony, under all that hair. I flipped it to sex it and noticed that it's hair was matted with faeces all around it's anus/gentials. It's tail was damp aswell, I recognised this as being a sign of wet tail.
    I tried to wash away the dirt from the hamster when it was sleeping, but to no avail - it still refused to eat or drink and it had bad diarrhea. It died 3 days later.

I'm just wondering what sort of action I can take here, I haven't had time to go down to complain yet, but I'd like to say the right thing when I do go down. My only concern is that they start treating their animals and training their staff better. Should I threaten to report them to the ISPCA?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Maybe contact the ISPCA, tell them where the shop is and ask them to look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

+1
    Don't just threaten to report them, DO report them. They clearly do not have high enough standards of care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Definitely report them this is sadly all too common.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

That is absolutely shocking! My God! Report them straight away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I'd report them!! Poor little hamsters! Some people just don't give a sh*t as long as they get your money! I say name and shame the pet shop too!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 siouxie sue

Report them. Thats disgraceful :(

In my opinion People should do an animal care course before they get employment in pet shops, vet clinics or dog grooming parlours. Then they will have some Knowledge in handling and correct care of animals.

I agree Lauragoesmad name and shame the shop, put it in the local paper for everyone to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Do report them and follow it up to make sure the spca call to the shop. This is a daily accurance around the country and I dont know of any case where a pet shop has been fined for this kind of thing. The laws have too many holes in them, also complain to the shop owner themselves if they are approachable.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Do report them. It won't do much good, but will at least give the ISPCA a chance to check up on them and they might clean up their act for a bit anyway.

I would also urge anyone thinking of buying any animal to check it over before you buy it. You should look to handle it if possible and definitely check the rear end to make sure that all is clean and healthy looking. If people buy unhealthy animals then there is no incentive for the shop to clean up and keep the animals healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 galwayair

hey just wondering does anyone think petshops in the west are up to standard surely animal welfare should be of most important why preach good practice if the shops dont practice it ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Considering there aren't really any decent laws in this country to protect animals in petshops, it is up to the public to change things by refusing to buy anything from petshops that do not provide decent conditions for their animals.

This being the case it is more necessary to educate the general public about animal welfare. Unfortunately our government give in more to pressure from businesses than they do from the public, so the only way to change things is to hurt them in their pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Report this petshop and stop supporting it. It is commonly held that some petshops are less than careful with their livestock. The best advice is to not buy animals from these shops.

I have noticed some of the petshops in Galway have poorly trained staff, badly kept animals and give wrong advice to unsuspecting pet buyers. The best way to get the message across is to advise people to go to the better shops and to buy from dedicated breeders if possible.

The Dogshop in Liosban had some really nice rats in stock a little while back - pity my house is already full of them.

One last thing - russian dwarf females might live together in a large enough cage but any other combination and you better have cornflour handy for stopping the bleeding. I really wish petshops would stop selling these - they are less than suitable pets due to their notoriously cranky nature.

'cptr

Never been to a Galway pet shop but there are so many around the country that really need improving and some need shutting down. Theres a particular one in Dublin City where the owners aparently are aggressive and unaproachable.

The thing is the best thing any of us can do is never buy from these pet shops there are so many alternatives here are a few.

Choose another pet shop where the owners know their stuff, know where their animals come from are housed clean and correctly and rabbits and guineapigs are not housed together (rabbits and guineapigs housed together is a good indication on weather the shop has read up properly on rabbit and guineapig care). If unsure about a pet shop just ask loads of questions even if you know the answer yourself.

Alternatives for getting a small animal as a pet, check out sites like this one, petsireland and irishanimals.ie in their homes needed sections.

Contact your local rescues and non local ones too some rescues take in hamster, birds and guineapigs and rabbits don't forget.

If it's items you are after try online shopping, if you have no credit card you can use a 3V voucher or postal order in some cases.

Check out ebay for pet items.
    Also sites like parrot24 mollys.ie zooplus.ie there are many others cant think of them atm but just google pet shops in Ireland

Also personally I dont like free add papers but there are sometimes genuine people in there that are just looking for someone to give their small pet a genuine loving caring home.

You would be suprised at the different types of pets you can find that are looking for new homes not all are cats and dogs rescues have anything from ponies, goats, pot bellied pigs, rabbits, hamsters, ferrets, guineapigs, budgies, tiels, even fish and reptiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

A few years ago I was in a pet shop attached to a garden centre looking at a rake of hamsters all in a glass case all together. Suddenly one hamster attacked and killed another fella - by the time I got one of the staff over it was too late. :eek: It was all most disturbing - I went off hamster for years!

I didn't know at the time that hamster shouldn't be kept together. Stupid greedy pet shop!

Poor hamsters :-(

Meant to say garden centers can be another place to buy pet items ie the garden centers that do not sell pets that is. I find many garden center pet shops arent knowledgable about the pets its like they just stuck in a pet section like they would a new plant section.

There are a few that dont sell pets but sell some pretty nice pet items homevalue hardware and Arro do some stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Report them straight away. The poor little guy! I've had Russian dwarf hamsters for years and I'd hate to see one in such a state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I really wish petshops would stop selling these - they are less than suitable pets due to their notoriously cranky nature.

'cptr

In relation to the above comment on the Russian dwarf hamsters - I have two female Winter Whites, Kip and Fidget. Now, I did have to separate them shortly after I got them (had them in a three foot tank) but I have to say they are the coolest little pets and I love them dearly. I found they tamed very quickly and love being handled. Maybe just my experience? I heard the Winter Whites can be a bit prickly? My two have never bitten me, but I have noticed if someone else handles them, they do have a little nibble, but not enough to hurt. I think they're just "tasting" the new hand, which smells different to what they're used to!

I also have a longhaired Syrian, Ted, and he is the most chilled-out, relaxed little hammy! He's really tame and not a bit nibbly. :)

I think hammys have a bad rep in general, partly because a lot of people don't know how to handle them gently enough and the hammy bites out of fear if it's being handled too roughly or if it's picked up suddenly - particularly if it's been asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

+1

I agree with the above poster. I've had numerous pairs of dwarf hamsters (Russian and Winter Whites), mixed sex and same sex, and I've never had problems with them being aggressive to each other. They are fairly sociable, with the odd break-out of bad temper (but no more than I saw when keeping mice or other animals).

Dwarves don't always like to be picked up, but usually get over it. I currently have one who I can't handle at all because he is incredibly territorial of his cage. Comes out fighting every time I lift the lid to put in food or change bedding. But he really is the exception rather than the rule. It really is quite funny to see such defensiveness and aggression from something so small and cute.

Because of their size, they might not be suitable pets for children

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My two little ladies look to be picked up whenever I come into the room! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll be sure to report them soon. I didn't even ask for a refund when I went back in about the hamster, I just wanted to make sure that they took proper care of his siblings.

Hopefully this will give them the kick in the ass they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Weidii wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll be sure to report them soon. I didn't even ask for a refund when I went back in about the hamster, I just wanted to make sure that they took proper care of his siblings.

Hopefully this will give them the kick in the ass they need.

You should have asked for a refund. If the pet shop is as bad as you say, then all they will care about is the bottom line. Money. If they still have your money, then they won't really care what you come in complaining about. Animal protection laws are, as said above, pretty poor in Ireland so the best way to get a petshop to change their ways is by denying them business. Tell all your friends about your experience. Name and shame (somewhere you're safe from defamation laws ;)) and tell the management what your doing and why. If they start to see a business reason for looking after their animals better, they will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 leahannebourke

Hi all,

i am new to this and i have no idea how to use this messaging board thing, but can anyone help? i am looking for a pet shop in Limerick that will be open til about 9 tonight, i no there is non in the crescent, just wondering does anyone no about the new one in the jetland, what time that one opens til. i rescued a puppy today, and need to get him bits and pieces like a bed and lead and FOOD! and with work, all other pet shops in town will be closed. all comments gratefully welcomed. thanks.

leah

not sure if this is any help but maybe the greyhound and petworld might be open late ?? if not worse case scenario you could try a tesco or dunnes as they sell pet foods you could get puppy food to tie you over . also not sure if there is an argos near you but they do sell dog beds etc and usually open late hope this is of some help

thank u very much galwayair, i had never thought of that. pure genious. that should tide me over til i can get to a proper pet shop on saturday. thanks very much, much appreciated.

your welcome glad to help was he dumped ?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭creme egg

Hi Leighanne,

If there are no pet shops open, perhaps try a large tesco, as my local one has dog leads, collars, toys, food and even puppy pads. In the mean time would you be able to use some old towels as a bed until you can get something better. Best of luck with the dog.

creme egg

ya the poor fella was found wandering around limerick city. but he is so friendly and great little personality. and really cute, a little mutt but they are the best. so cute. mad about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭creme egg

galwayair, sorry did not read all of your post, I said the same as you about tesco. Good idea about argos!! Would not have thought of that.

ya the poor fella was found wandering around limerick city. but he is so friendly and great little personality. and really cute, a little mutt but they are the best. so cute. mad about him.

creme egg
    no hassle sure we are all trying to help thats why we are here :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement