Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Garmin WebUpdater

Options
  • 02-04-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Hope some tech whiz can help me out. I'm trying to install Garmin WebUpdater and during the installation process I am getting an error message quoting error 2755.

Anyone encountered this or got an ideas? I have no idea whether this is more likely to be a problem with the software or my PC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Stealdo wrote: »
    Hope some tech whiz can help me out. I'm trying to install Garmin WebUpdater and during the installation process I am getting an error message quoting error 2755.

Anyone encountered this or got an ideas? I have no idea whether this is more likely to be a problem with the software or my PC.

If you google Error 2755 it looks like a windows & encryption problem with the software update. What version of windows are you runnimg ?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

dak wrote: »
    If you google Error 2755 it looks like a windows & encryption problem with the software update. What version of windows are you runnimg ?

Thanks for the response Dak

- it's XP Pro; Version 5.1.2600 SP2 Build 2600

Just taking a look at the MS support page now, stupidly I was assuming it was a Garmin code rather than a windows one. Would still appreciate any further help you can give me.

I should add to this actually - that it initially states "The system cannot open the device or file specified" on clicking ok it states that the error code is 2755.

Think I have this sussed - the cause at least if not a solution. My Local Settings\Temp folder is encrypted using some fancy encryption software that our IT folks installed on my laptop recently. This is where Windows Installer is extracting that .dll's to. Would seem that the encryption might mean that it can't read the files back. I don't know of any way I can extract the files to somewhere else, so will probably have to re-try at home with my own PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can try temporarily renaming the Temp folder to something else, and creating a new one. If that's locked out for you for some reason, you could try setting the TEMP and TMP environment variables to point somewhere else temporarily (Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Environment variables) while you do the install, and switch them back again later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I'd suggest the second of those options. If your IT dept. have locked your Temp folder it's probably an anti-virus strategy, and you won't be able to rename it. However, changing the TEMP variable is somewhat easier and will probably not be locked out.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies guys. Got this up and running at the first attempt at home, so this looks like that was definitely the issue. I'll keep those tips in my back pocket for when this comes up again with another install (which I'm sure it will).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I usually go for the manual install instead of the web-updater.
    You can normally download all of the updates from the Garmin support website.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Except the Nuvi 2xx series where Garmin do not provide the standalone upgrade option.

coylemj wrote: »
    Except the Nuvi 2xx series where Garmin do not provide the standalone upgrade option.
    Yes, that's weird ... never quite understood that one.

I usually go for the manual install instead of the web-updater.
    You can normally download all of the updates from the Garmin support website.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp

There's also this site http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/ where you can get old versions as well if you need them.

The problem with not using WebUpdater is that it not only updates the main unit software, but also offers all kinds of other updates that aren't readily available otherwise such as the GPS module firmware on the new H series etrexes for example, or replacement, updated voice or language files on nuvis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Did you consider asking them to upload them to the site?
    They seem to cover most other Nuvi models, so perhaps it's just an oversight?

Are there updates available via WebUpdater?

Did you consider asking them to upload them to the site?
    They seem to cover most other Nuvi models, so perhaps it's just an oversight?

Are there updates available via WebUpdater?
    That's the problem, they just aren't available "standalone" on the Garmin website any more. There are some old versions on that website (about 1 - 2 versions out of date) but that's it. The only way to update the 2xx series now seems to be via WebUpdater.

Advertisement