Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I claim anything?

Options
  • 01-04-2008 9:54pm

I started working in Ireland about 7 months ago. I started to hate the job, the pay was awful and I eventually handed in my notice and finished the job last week. I found it impossible to seriously look for a new job and go to interviews etc while I had the first job. Now the question is, am I entitled to any dole or benefits while I look for a new job? The website is really confusing and I don't know anyone on the dole and don't know how it all works. I've been paying tax here for about the last 7 months and currently hold only a British passport (I'm Irish but I'd need my parents marriage cert to apply for the passport).
    Whats the difference between Jobseeker Allowance and Benefit, and would I be entitled to either?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭nojunkmaill

I think to claim the dole you need to have built up a certain amount of PRSI contributions from 2006.

How old are you? There is also I think JobSeekers Allowance but I think that could be means tested if you are under 25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

You'll also need to have been based here for the last two years.

I'm 22, I've been living here ages but only working and paying tax with a PPS number here for 7 months (my other jobs were overseas or cash in hand).
    What is the allowance, and how is it means tested?

I just remember a Spanish friend receiving some sort of allowance and rent help when she was out of work - she certainly wasn't Irish at all and hadn't lived here 2 years, so I thought I must be able to claim something.

Advertisement