Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish in South America

Options
  • 01-04-2008 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

What do people know about Irish people who emigrated to South America in the nineteenth century and after? There's a monument in sligo to two generals who fought there* (as S. Americans), plus I've heard a few other Irish names (which escape me atm). What can people tell me about this aspect of relatively unexplored Irish emirgration?

*Will try to get a picture and more info Friday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I suppose when people think of the Irish diaspora in South America, Argentina springs to mind first because of the large Irish community there. But there is also substantial Uruguayan-Irish community too. Not sure about other South American countries though.

Brianthebard were you talking about the O Higgin's in Chilie? If so here is a picture of the plaque on the monument:
    OHiggins2.jpg

Lets not forget the large amount of Irish deported to the Caribbean in the 17th centuary also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Lots of snippets, no coherent big picture.

Plenty of evidence in contemporary Argentina of significant Irish emigration to that country. One of the top rugby clubs in Buenos Aires is called the Hurling Club. Apparently it continued to play hurling until WWII when it became difficult to import hurleys. More important cargos to cross the Atlantic in those days.

One of Argentina's most famous natives was Ernesto "Che" Guevara. In Spanish custom, one's full name comprises one's father's and mother's surname. So his full name was Ernesto Guevara De La Serna. His father, however, was called Ernesto Guevara Lynch. A bit of Irish in him, it would seem.

Also, Irish names crop up here and there in Argentinian sports teams. in recent years the Argentinian rugby team has had a Santiago Phelan and also a guy surnamed Martin.

When Argentina won the soccer world cup in 1986, their first goal was scored by one Jose Luis Browne. There has also been a Galvan play for Argentina.

I believe the famous Boca Juniors soccer club was founded by Irish priests. The Celtic of the Southern Hemisphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Quite a good wiki page on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_settlement_in_Argentina

also coincidentally, an interesting article in todays UK Guardian on Argentina and past European immigration:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/02/argentina

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Argentina was one of the most popular places for Irish Emigrants to go at the end of the 19th century - it was number 4 after the US, UK and Australia I think. It had one of the best standards of living in the world at the time.

The kids in the film Alive attended a school started by Irish Priests - if you watch it again you'll see the shamrocks on the jearsys they are wearing. Mentions it in the documentary on the DVD. That was Uruguay i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Thanks for the info everyone and yeah thats the plaque I was thinking of GD. I was watching a bit of a travel programme on RTE on Sunday, thats what got me interested. Apparently an Irish man helped found the Argentinian navy as well. I think it would make for a really interesting history project.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

LOL. I know for a fact I have many distant relatives on the ma's side from Argentina. One day some guy arrived at the door, and said 'I am your long cousin''....LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Some interesting Irish people in south america include:

Eliza Lynch
    Daniel Florence O’Leary
    William Ferguson
    Francisco Burdett O'Connor
    Ambrosio O'Higgins
    Thomas Charles James Wright
    John O'Reilly

When u travel around south america u will see irish place names and suspicous surnames like oleara

• Registered Users Posts: 13,120 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Some interesting Irish people in south america include:

Eliza Lynch
    Daniel Florence O’Leary
    William Ferguson
    Francisco Burdett O'Connor
    Ambrosio O'Higgins
    Thomas Charles James Wright
    John O'Reilly

When u travel around south america u will see irish place names and suspicous surnames like oleara

And what of Admiral William Brown, originally from Foxford, Co. Mayo, founder of the Argentine Navy.
    He beat the Spanish in 1813, helping free the River Plate and Montevideo from Spanish influence and then later in 1826 gave a good kick up the ass to the Brazilians.

I was listening to a documentary on this topic on a midlands radio station.
    Apparently the Irish immigrants in Argentina tended to stick together and for many generations didn't even learn Spainish.
    Their descendants speak english with a totally convincing Midlands lack of twang.
    It was stunning to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kreuzberger

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I was listening to a documentary on this topic on a midlands radio station.
    Apparently the Irish immigrants in Argentina tended to stick together and for many generations didn't even learn Spainish.
    Their descendants speak english with a totally convincing Midlands lack of twang.
    It was stunning to hear.

RTEs Donncha ODulaing did a fascinating series on this subject for radio in the late 1980sor early 90s I believe .

Other names worth looking up are Willie Bulfin , editor of the Southern Cross in argentina .

Major Patrciio Dowling , who took the British surrender in the 82 Las Malvinas invasion . Patricio was quite proud of his Irish heritage and made a non too subtle point of it to his captured enemy

During this period the ballad group " The Wolfe Tones" made it to the top 5 in the Irish charts with this song .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcnDiLHGUL8 . At the same time Ireland used its veto on the UN security council to upset British plans for UN approved actions and sanctions .

St Patricks day in Bueenos Aires sees this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMtU6devmmg

in mexico we had these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7zZkGAvGT0

still popular enough it seems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zcGKFH1WQ4&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

There was a St Patrick's Batallion that fought with the Mexican Army in the mid-19th century, I remember reading about them in Irish class in secondary school.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick's_Battalion

Advertisement