Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Kennels Dilemma

Options
  • 01-04-2008 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. my pup has been in heat since last friday and were supposed to be heading away on the 9th of this month. However, I do believe that the kennels wont take the pup if they are in heat. has anyone had first hand experience of this.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ask the kennel ..they'd know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Some kennels won't take dogs that haven't been neutered or spayed. Rightly so. It'd cause mayhem!

Can you have her spayed before you go? Idealy it should be done before their first heat ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

well i want her to have pups but not just yet. I know the kennels are not to keen on it but I dont know what to do now. holiday is booked and everything. I suppose I can only be honest and hope they take her in or lie and be worrying she will have mixed breed pups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

blahblah06 wrote: »
    well i want her to have pups but not just yet. I know the kennels are not to keen on it but I dont know what to do now. holiday is booked and everything. I suppose I can only be honest and hope they take her in or lie and be worrying she will have mixed breed pups

Get a pet sitter. How long are you going for and where abouts are you?

blahblah06 wrote: »

Do not do this under any circumstances!!! Come on - another litter of unwanted pups to add to the thousands we can't home as it is?

See if you could get a house-sitter, that sounds like the best solution. Better still, chat to the kennels, they might be able to kennel her in isolation .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Glowing wrote: »
    See if you could get a house-sitter, that sounds like the best solution. Better still, chat to the kennels, they might be able to kennel her in isolation .....
    Doubt they will do that as the male dogs will be able to smell her and they will howl and bark and cry and generally be an annoyance. Not really fair to have her on her own for a week or two either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Glowing wrote: »
    Can you have her spayed before you go? Idealy it should be done before their first heat ....

@ the OP

just in case this gave you any ideas ...

Spaying a dog while actually in heat is about the worst thing you can do, it has all sorts of dire consequences later on.

No good vet would touch her anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

you should really get her spayed, what breed is she?

peasant wrote: »
    @ the OP

just in case this gave you any ideas ...

Spaying a dog while actually in heat is about the worst thing you can do, it has all sorts of dire consequences later on.

No good vet would touch her anyway.

Good point, I swear I already knew that! :o

Advertisement