Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless B or G?

Options
  • 01-04-2008 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have an eircom netopia router in the house and works great with my laptop. However when I'm working out in the garage which is a good distance from the router I get a very weak or no signal. When I enquired about an external antenna for the laptop at a local comp shop, the guy suggested switching the router to Wireless B as it has a wider signal. I was just wondering if this is true. Don't really want to get another card if this does the trick. I know the connection will be slower but It's just for general browsing and emails. I have an internal intel 3945 card and is at max power settings in case anyone suggests. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Well easiest way is to set the router to b mode only and test! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,127 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

B and G have the same range

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11

Changing frequency channel may help avoid interference from other networks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Try the pre-n wireless network equipment. It has a greater range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Spear wrote: »
    B and G have the same range

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11

Changing frequency channel may help avoid interference from other networks though.

But G will give your a more consistent conenction and higher/better throughput..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Spear wrote: »
    Yes, all Eircom Netopia routers come pre-configured on channel 7, so if you've a lot of near neighbours with wireless routers you might get some interference. Try it on one of the other 2 non-overlapping channels, i.e. 1 or 13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭reidyg

Thanks guys, there's not much wireless traffic in my area, and swithching to b didn't show any notable improvements. Looks like it's back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

If you're still stuck give me a call (if you haven't moved) I'm only down the road and can drop in to see if I can help you out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭leex

B should have better range. You could try changing the channel (freq) also. Other items in your house or even neighbours could affect signal, ie baby monitor, DECT phones etc.

Advertisement