Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Sound?

Options
  • 01-04-2008 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Just wondering what people think of our local radio station? Do you ever listen to it? Quality etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

never listen to it. a lot of talk on topics I have little or no interest in. listen to BBC Radio 1 for music and that's it, don't listen to any news stations really. read the paper instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

its uttttter crap.
    Always was, but then again its the legal remaining station from the numerous ****e pirate stations that used to line the border.

If youre from a city you probably think of a pirate station being a crowd of young pups illegally playing the latest in techno or rock or whatever.

No! In Cavan we had pirates playing non stop country music, on MEDIUM WAVE just to enhance the crapness!! I remember Breffni Radio and Erneside but there could have been more.

Anyhow, along the border there seems to be a market for ****e music presented badly and now Northern Sound is the licenced purveyor of crapness.

On the other hand, the positive about living in Cavan is that you can get all the BBC radio stations, and also the dublin ones such as 98FM, FM104 depending on your ariel, where you are in the county and where you are compared to the nearest hill!!

So to answer the question, whilst in the homeland, same as the last poster, I pretty much ignored local and national Free state radio and relied on the Brit Broadcasting Corporation to entertain me over the radiowaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Ah northern sound, my parents are mad for it! Especially the death notices...its all very strange. They have this hilarious morbid violin music at the start and end of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

don't listen to radio too much but northern sound would be the last station i would listen to.

only listen to radio in morning - bbc radio 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Gadjodilo

If youre from a city you probably think of a pirate station being a crowd of young pups illegally playing the latest in techno or rock or whatever.

No! In Cavan we had pirates playing non stop country music, on MEDIUM WAVE just to enhance the crapness!! I remember Breffni Radio and Erneside but there could have been more.

:):):)

I remember Breffni Radio well! They used to quote verbatim from The Irish Press (horoscopes, weather forecast etc...) with no mention of the source at all.

• Advertisement

Ah northern sound, my parents are mad for it! Especially the death notices...its all very strange. They have this hilarious morbid violin music at the start and end of them.

My mother listens to them too. The language is so specific.
    - no flowers, please. Donations in lieu to charity xxxxxx
    - relict of ....
    - after a long illness bravely borne

If I die after long illness, it'll probably not be bravely borne. I'll have spent the previous month bitching to the high heaven at all and sundry. What'll they say about me? :D

My main problem with it (it's the only time I'd have NS on) is the quality of the commentators for the GAA matches. The guy who does the Monaghan matches is bad enough - he managed to get the final score wrong last Sunday in the match against Meath.

As for the guy who comments on the Cavan matches.....! He seems to be under the impression that we haven't tuned in to listen to the match. No, what we want to hear is who scored the winning goal in the Ulster semi-final clash in 1906 - or some other such sporting trivia which invariably didn't even involve either of the teams playing below.

Meanwhile, while we're listening to this drivel, you can hear the crowd going mad in the background and you know that something big is happening but you have to wait to find out while Mister Sporting Quizmaster 1947 enlightens us with another sliver of his nerdy brilliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Gadjodilo wrote: »
    My main problem with it (it's the only time I'd have NS on) is the quality of the commentators for the GAA matches. The guy who does the Monaghan matches is bad enough - he managed to get the final score wrong last Sunday in the match against Meath.

As for the guy who comments on the Cavan matches.....! He seems to be under the impression that we haven't tuned in to listen to the match. No, what we want to hear is who scored the winning goal in the Ulster semi-final clash in 1906 - or some other such sporting trivia which invariably didn't even involve either of the teams playing below.

Meanwhile, while we're listening to this drivel, you can hear the crowd going mad in the background and you know that something big is happening but you have to wait to find out while Mister Sporting Quizmaster 1947 enlightens us with another sliver of his nerdy brilliance.

From listening to him I think I know every pointless fact about Cavan football ever. And for some reason he seems to get exited every time Cavan concede a score or lose. Apart from that I never listen to it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Christ I remember them commenting on the running of a dog across a pitch in a Cavan - Down game. They got a good 5 minutes out of it.... soon afterwards they got another few minutes out of moving the feckin car they were sitting in..........................

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

just joining in here cavan folks as we're plagued with it as well. the mans ridiculous. he has some inexplicable obsession with priests too. little gems about what father whatshisface did back in the day and how he was a great patron of cavan gaa, etc. etc.

Station is absolute arse gravy. The music is atrocious and all those irish country singers have really thick american accents, wtf? Its a hokey boring and qite simply bad radio station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Well has north sound improved all these yrs later?death notices (when there not telling us about some poor departed soul over in the far end of longford) and the jf show (when anne norris or john lynch are,nt filling in for joey) are really all i listen too on it.u gotta hand it too joe though,he,s a GREAT **** stirrer. o and the farm news of course. go easy now where still arural people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Never listen to it.
    Which explains why a close neighbour could be dead and buried and I'd never know.
    Life is too short to listen to bad radio.

And who remembers "Radio Star Country" broadcast from a hill near Belturbet. As you drove past it would bleed into whatever other station you were listening to .........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

As a blow-in I found it funny at first, then weird, now just annoying - seems to be everywhere on the dial! Wouldn't listen to by choice anyway.

Advertisement