Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching English in Spain - Vaughan Systems

Options
  • 01-04-2008 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi
    I would like to find out people's experiences of teaching English in Spain.
    I'm 30 year old guy who has decided to move to Spain for 1 year hopefully in September. The purpose is to learn to speak Spanish. At the moment I have very little Spanish so I'm very limited to what I can work at. However I have good Spanish friends who can help me get organised when I arrive.
    I have applied to Vaughan Systems who are an English school and radio station.
    Has anybody worked with this organisation?

All advice will be very much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

You're in the wrong place squire, I'm sure one of the mods will be here shortly to move you to an appropriate place!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Hi
    I'm 30 year old guy who has decided to move to Spain for 1 year hopefully in September. The purpose is to learn to speak Spanish. At the moment I have very little Spanish so I'm very limited to what I can work at. However I have good Spanish friends who can help me get organised when I arrive.

I think you may have the wrong forum, actually bat the thunderdome this is probably the worst place you could of posted

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Move along now...nothing to see...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

drinkspillfail.jpg

Sorry OP had to do it, that pic made me laugh today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Moved from BGRH. And no, this is not an April Fools joke. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Hi

Tbh, I've never heard of Vaughan Systems but I'd imagine their English teachers would at least hold some kind of qualification in teaching English as a foreign language (realistically a CELTA, TESOL or TEFL certificate). It might be an idea to look into getting yourself one of these. A CELTA qualification is probably the best accredited but will cost you upwards of €1,000 to do. Although, if you only plan on going for a year and have absolutely no interest in pursuing this long term, you might be able to find somewhere willing to take you on.

Do you know where in Spain you'd like to go? There's quite a bit of competition for places in cities like Madrid and Barcelona and it can be fairly difficult to find work, particularly something decent that pays well. That said, there is work to be found, so if you really want to do it, go for it! Depending on where you choose to go, there's usually loads of bar work available for English speakers, so you've always got something to fall back on. Be advised that the pay is fairly crap though.

Finally, teaching English and learning Spanish can be a bit of an oxymoron. I know quite a few people over here who came with the intention of learning Spanish but it never really materialised. There's a fairly big Irish community in Barcelona in particular and it's really just to stay in your comfort zone. You can get by quite handily without having a word of Spanish. I'm not saying that it'll happen to you, just letting you know all the facts.

If you're looking for a really beautiful and vibrant city where you can find work relatively easily, I'd definitely recommend Barcelona. But if learning Spanish is your main goal, Madrid or one of the smaller Spanish cities/towns would definitely be a better option. I'd definitely recommend it though!:)

Advertisement