Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat flat

Options
  • 01-04-2008 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

we have a year old tabby and am trying to get her to use cat flap. she look in through it and meows and waits until we open the flap for her. once its opened she'll jump through it. am going away on holdiays next week and want her to be able to come and go freely while i'm away. i think the problem is she doesn't know how to push the flap in. any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Put him outside and place some chicken or his faveourite food on the other side and you'l be amazed how quick he gets it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Grainne wrote: »
    we have a year old tabby and am trying to get her to use cat flap. she look in through it and meows and waits until we open the flap for her. once its opened she'll jump through it. am going away on holdiays next week and want her to be able to come and go freely while i'm away. i think the problem is she doesn't know how to push the flap in. any tips?
    how are ye planning to leave the cat for holidays,who going to feed the cat?what happens if the cat gets sick a needs a vet?surely ye have arrangements with ye cat i hope!:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Grainne

never said anything about leaving cat alone, you're getting a bit carried away with yourself! my husband will be feeding cat in the morning and again at night. at the moment during teh day i let her in and out whenever she wants!

i'm a bit insulted !

never said anything about leaving cat alone, you're getting a bit carried away with yourself! my husband will be feeding cat in the morning and again at night. at the moment during teh day i let her in and out whenever she wants!

i'm a bit insulted !

hang on a minute ye never mentioned your hubby on the post as you quoted
    am going away on holdiays next week and want her to be able to come and go freely while i'm away

how i am to know that ye hubbys there?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Grainne - we have 3 cats and a cat flap.
    Its like a game - go outside with the tabby on her side of the door.
    You will have to play with the cat until she gets the jist of it.
    Treats are a good way - but its like anything, it all takes time. You've got to toughen up when using these boards. I know the feeling, people sometimes appear to expect the worst.
    Best of look with the kitty ..

Davey Cats can be pretty independent. With our three I'd prefer to leave them in their own environment and have a neighbour feed (if we could find someone we trusted) than putting in a cattery. It is nothing to do with money. This is coming from a couple that spent 500 euros on a cattery for cats when we went on our honeymoon! If at all possible it is better for an independant cat to remain in their environment, but they have to be monitored.

• Advertisement

davey80

the cat flap was the issue ............ not my hubbie and not my holiday.......

buddy,

thanks for that, will but your plan into action this evening and will let you know how it goes !

davey80

the cat flap was the issue ............ not my hubbie and not my holiday.......

buddy,

thanks for that, will but your plan into action this evening and will let you know how it goes !
    the cat flap was the issue
    yes this was the issue
    not my hubbie
    was not mentioned
    not my holiday
    you said
    am going away on holdiays next week
    ????
    QUOTE=Grainne;55545874
    What do you mean by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Davey - have a cup of tea mate and stop hounding her.

OP - good luck with the cat flap. I don't have one for my guys so can't make any suggestions - I'm sure if you have a bit of patience the kitty will figure it out soon enough.

MsFifers wrote: »
    Davey - have a cup of tea mate and stop hounding her.

OP - good luck with the cat flap. I don't have one for my guys so can't make any suggestions - I'm sure if you have a bit of patience the kitty will figure it out soon enough.
    since when i started hounding Grainne?read the the first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Lads, calm down a bit. Keep the discussion civil and there will be no problems.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    no problem bond but do you see where im getting at on the first post?do you think i insulted Grainne:confused:

Bond-007 wrote: »

am signing off thanks for all "helpful" advice given!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Grainne - I should have mentioned that you can try holding the flap open and guiding the cat through. You'll have to do it a fair few times - and when you least expect it (making a cup of tea or a sambo) the cat will duck in for some grub. That's how it was with us.

Another thing to mind with the flaps is that another cat does not piggie back your cat to get in. Once or twice we had a stray in our kitchen - it had learnt to sneak up behind ours :)
    Best of luck - but I think you'll be okay.
    Don't be minding the lads here - sometimes there are minor explosions :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

davey180 wrote: »
    no problem bond but do you see where im getting at on the first post?do you think i insulted Grainne:confused:

I don't think you insulted Grainne just you're own intellect. You moonbean :rolleyes:

Grainne keep the cat flap half open with a pen (or something) then tempt your cat in with his/her favourite treat. The cat should come, do this a few times until the cat gets used to it. Then try opening the cat flap about a quater of the way and repeat. etc... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭blackbox

When I saw the thread title I thought your Moggy had been in an RTA.:D

Advertisement