Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xfx 8800gt 512mb - €145

Options
  • 01-04-2008 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=342061

Apparently this is only while stocks last and there's about 20 left. Seems like a total bargain to me and you get a free copy of Company of Heroes with it :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah great price, saw that yesterday. Sli for 300, couldn't say no to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

nice find.

ordering 2 now

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

I have a 3 year old 3.2ghz P4 machine (specs below) which could do with a speed boost on games. Is there any point putting this into it, or would the card be wasted on it?

Pentium 4 640 Processor With HT tecnology 3.2GHz-2MB L2 Cache-800 MHz FSB 64 bit Technology
    2gb DDR 400MHz,
    ATI RADEON X740 XL PCI Express Graphics Card - 128MB DDR3 900Mhz Memory - DVI-I - TV Out (Scart, S-video or Composite)

It would be bottlenecked but you'd still see a good improvement, for that price hard to go wrong, though an 80 euro 8600GT would also be a massive boost, so I'd recommend shying away from the 8800GT as it's a lot of wasted potential despite the inevitable massive improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

TJM the 8800GT on sale here is a fair bargain. Well worth the upgrade! The 8600GT mentioned previously is very poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Cassiel wrote: »
    TJM the 8800GT on sale here is a fair bargain. Well worth the upgrade! The 8600GT mentioned previously is very poor.

Is there a link missing from here??!?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its in the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I've got a Club3D GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, HDCP, Dual DVI, Retail. Which is better? Is there much difference between 8800GT and 8800GTS?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Just ordered one , thanks for the info guys.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Bambaata wrote: »
    I've got a Club3D GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, HDCP, Dual DVI, Retail. Which is better? Is there much difference between 8800GT and 8800GTS?

the 8800GT is significantly better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Saw it earlier but didn't buy it. Glad there's still 3 left...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tonton-bob

ok I finally decided to get one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

All gone!

Just reading one of the reviews there:
    Well happy with this. Works like a charm. Ran Crysis demo with everything maxed out and it ran so smoothly it was ubelievable. As a cheaper option than the 8800GTX it is definitely one to consider. This is also the ALPHA-DOG edition so it also includes Company of Heroes full game and also the DX10 patch for Vista users. Overall a great card and would reccomend it to anyone that doesn't want to shell out on the GTX but still wants a fantastic DX10 capable card.

Happy days if that's the case

Got mine this morning and installed it. Only problem is the fan is way too loud and annoyed me so much I've gone back to my 7300 LE card. Tried software to slow the fan down but it had no effect.

Mine's sitting beside me. Heard about the fan being loud alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Tony wrote: »
    Got mine this morning and installed it. Only problem is the fan is way too loud and annoyed me so much I've gone back to my 7300 LE card. Tried software to slow the fan down but it had no effect.

That's strange, I have the overclocked version of this and the fan isn't noisy at all (in a near silent dell system)

Yeah it is strange. Perhaps you might know this, does it have to be powered from a specific power cable in order to affect the fan speed? Sorry for the OT post.

That's strange, I have the overclocked version of this and the fan isn't noisy at all (in a near silent dell system)

Any pci express connector will do, the fan speed is all done through software. The lads in tweaking would know what is the best software to do it though.

Any pci express connector will do, the fan speed is all done through software. The lads in tweaking would know what is the best software to do it though.

Thanks I just plugged in the spare 6 pin power cable, downloaded some software specifically to lower the speed but no effect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

I got mine this morning, does include Company of Heroes. But I ordered 2 and I was told that they ran out of them so I was only getting one, bit of a shame really especially as I only wanted them to SLI really ;)

Still, its an improvement on my 8800GTs so I'm happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

6pin power cable plugged in?
    feylya wrote: »
    Mine's sitting beside me. Heard about the fan being loud alright.

ive got 4 now. 2 in the system im on here and 2 in my comp at parents gaff.
    not a peep out of them.
    Yeah it is strange. Perhaps you might know this, does it have to be powered from a specific power cable in order to affect the fan speed? Sorry for the OT post.

there should be a 6 pin power cable on your power supply. plug that bad boy in.
    Thanks I just plugged in the spare 6 pin power cable, downloaded some software specifically to lower the speed but no effect.

forget the software. all that does is slow the fan down which means your temps will rise.
    the fan shouldnt be too loud. obviously you will hear it, but no where near as much as it sounds like your describing it.
    possibly call komplett and see what they say?
    as said, ive got 4 and i barely hear them.

also, for a few more bucks you could make it better.
    i bought 2 of these for my pc.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343075

i know they're 35 yoyo's but they are wicked at cooling the gpu making it last longer and they are very quite.

my alpha dog
    dscf0154vu4.jpg

removed the front plate and fan
    dscf0155zi4.jpg

applied the new heatsinks that come with the duorb.
    dscf0156dj4.jpg

the duorb mounted on. took all of 15 mins from start to finish.
    dscf0161ot2.jpg

size didnt change too much
    dscf0162bz1.jpg

and you cant say it doesnt look sexy!!
    dscf0171bf8.jpg

dscf0172ns5.jpg

Thanks for the reply, yes plugged the 6 pin cable in that was held to one side by a plastic clip. I have a dimension dell 9150 if that helps. As far as I can tell its the only cable that fits. That twin fan does look interesting though, does it run pretty quiet?

6pin power cable plugged in?
    there should be a 6 pin power cable on your power supply. plug that bad boy in.

Got it installed this evening with feck all distance to spare. It's a savage card! COD4 and UT3 run incredibly well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tonton-bob

Got mine this morning as well.

It's so loud :(

I dont wanna bother changing the fan, so I'll sell it and buy another one.

I dont understand why there is no fan control at all, the fan is on ( and never turns off ) as soon as you press the power button.

Have you got the latest drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Rivatuner will let you turn the fans down..

Cassiel wrote: »

Yes, but an old P4 is equally as poor...that was my point.

Does ati tools work with the latest 8 and 9 series?

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Rivatuner will let you turn the fans down..

I tried that but it had no effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Hey I don't mind the loudness... I'll buy one of them off ye. I don't want COH as I've got it already. I've a Gainward GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3, so this should make a bit of a difference... ??

Advertisement