Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing dog to vet for first time.

Options
  • 31-03-2008 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭

My dog who is about 11 years old now has developed some lumps which appeared out of nowhere and are getting bigger. I need to bring my dog who has had a healthy life to the vet to get it checked out but the thing is he doesn't take to other dogs around him. I'm just worried about what way he would react in a waiting room etc. Any advice as to how I can get around the problem because I need to get him seen to asap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

You could ring your vet and ask them if they could fit you in at a time when there won't be any other dogs around. If they can't help you you could ring around other vets and see if you can find one that can help you, you may have to pay a little extra though.

I know you don't want a lecture now, but if you get in touch with a dog behaviourist you would probably be able to help the dog deal with this for future occasions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hardly work'n

Depending on his size a dog crate or a muzzle. It maybe a bit stressful, but in the long run it will be worth it. Or get a friend to come with you & wait in the waiting room for you and ring you when it's your turn to come in. And you can bring him quickly thru with the least amount of stress. Also have a little treat or two in your pocket to keep him distracted. Most dogs would be more interested in a bit of chicken than another dog. Aleast mine are!! We have great fun going to the vet for our annual shots & check up! Our vet knows us all very well and books us for the last appointment of the day! Three very large babies!! He calls them the ponies. They get excited to see the vet becouse they know it's ice cream cones all around after! It's easy to make it a positive exprience for them. And a good vet will work with you to make it positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Thanks lads, he seems to be better this morning when I got home from work. I'll keep an eye on how he progresses today but his appetite is back because he's wolfing down the food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

You should get him checked anyway just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Has the dog never seen a vet before? If so how has he been vaccinated etc?

Vets will understand if you want to take him in if they have more than one consultation room they might let you straight in there. If not just have the dog on the lead (you have to anyway) or in a crate if a small dog and stand away from the other dog owners.

He should get a health check anyway if he's not been or if its been a long time since he's been.

Older dogs are prone to tumours and cysts etc. I think in grown hairs can cause cysts as well. Check for fleas etc as well some dogs and cats develope lumps n bumps from flea bites.

• Advertisement
Advertisement