Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probation

Options
  • 31-03-2008 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    I was interviewed for a job in September. Was accepted. Received contract promptly, which stated my start date as October 8. Then I was contacted by the company to be told that I'd be starting October 22, (due to training delay---they never went into it) and that I'd be paid while off. Sweet deal.

Received an email from a superior stating that my 6 probation review would be on April 8 (review to see if theyd make me permanent). Grand, I thought.

Today, received an abrupt email stating that the review would be 2 weeks later, as it had to be 6 months after me starting actual work.

Legally, where do I stand here? If it ever went to court (dunno why it would) my contract would say I started October 8, signed by them. No new contract was offered, so they've nothing to go on. So surely, they cant delay the review at a whim. They haven't offered to tell me will I be kept on. So theyre just keeping me in suspense here.

Am I automatically permanent if they delay this review, then? Cos the contract says that 6 months after start date (which on the contract, is October 8) I would receive my review to be made permanent. Any amendments made without my prior agreement is surely a violation of our direct contract.

I don't know if they intend to make me permanent, extend my probation, or let me go. Performance-wise I do well but they hate people who offer suggestions / alternatives. Im popular with the staff and this email went out to 2 other staff as well. It's quite disturbing, really.

So, yeah, sorry about the long post. Worst case scenario, they hold the review 2 weeks late as they said they would, and say I'm fired. Or even, my probation is extended. Can I sue them for breach of contract?

Thanks for any help / info / advice you can provide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Can't see how there is any real issue here. Unless you have a feeling that they won't renew your contract. I hardly think that the reasons you give would be why they would not renew. Just seems like they are following the rules?

TBH i'd just relax and assume that they need to follow certain conditions and that's all they are doing.

The fact that they paid you since Oct 8th is strange but they assume you haven't really started work until Oct 22nd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Unfortunately the law which protects employees in Ireland only kicks in after you've been with the same company for one year, so they can do pretty much (within reason) what they want to do at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If they wanted to fire you before renewing the contract they'd have done it before now no? I wouldn't worry about it.

Advertisement