Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bayonet on .303 rifle

Options
  • 31-03-2008 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Something I have always wanted to know, maybe someone on here can help. How was a bayonet attached to a WW2 lee Enfield rifle, a picture would be great. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It was slid on from the front, there was a hole in the guard that went over the tip of the barrel, with the handle slightly tilted to the side then twisted 'till it clicked into place. AFAIR.

Here's a link to the types of bayonet used with the .303.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭bartholomewbinn

Hagar wrote: »
    It was slid on from the front, there was a hole in the guard that went over the tip of the barrell, with the handle slightly tilted to the side then twisted 'till it clicked into place. AFAIR.

Thanks for the answer, I'm actually searching for a picture of the bayonet being fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hagar theres another video of that same guy, shooting, I presume the same SMLE and on one shot the whole nosecap, with bayonet attached flies off, he takes a look at it on the ground, lets out a swear or two and continues firing! :rolleyes:

Anyway, to the OP, by WW2 LE what do you mean? I assume a No4 as they are classed as the 'WW2 Lee Enfield', the bayonet was a 'socket' type which fitted over the barrell (the No4 had a protruding barrell as opposed to the blunt nose of the SMLE), it was slid on, and rotated through approx 90 degree and locked into place on a small lug on the barrell. A button freed it so it could be taken back off.

The bayonet in the video is a P'07, but still a 'WW2' Lee Enfield if you're Indian or Australian :pac:

He does look like a bit of a Walter alright but it was the best I could find at short notice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭bartholomewbinn

Hagar, thanks for the clip, that’s what I wanted. But believe it or not I think I know the guy in the clip. He was in the FCA a long time back. I won’t mention a name on here, but I’m sure he’s from Enniscorthy. Maybe I’m wrong, but it sure looks like him.

Advertisement