Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support in Dublin for mac hardware

Options
  • 31-03-2008 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Just wondering if anyone has any good experiences with hardware support for their mac's in Dublin? I have a mac min and a macbook and northing's ever gone wrong with my mac mini (touch wood) but I've had several issues (while it was under warranty) with my macbook and I had to send it to a place (which shall remain nameless) where they were idiots and it took ages and each time they made worse before they made it better.
    Anyway the reason I ask is now it's no longer under warranty and it's started to make some funny noises (maybe something hitting off the fan inside) and I reckon I'll have to get it repaired soon enough and seeing as this place was so bad the first time I really don't want to go back there. So does anyone know of a good mac repair place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Hi Saint

PM me with the name of the company used, there's not many of us in the city but if it was a macbook I've a fair idea. <snip> I've been a IT Manager/Senior Finished Artworker (both macs & wintels) for over 18 years. Started on SE30s and this very morning had a macbook pro in pieces replacing the HD so nothing is to large or to small <snip>

<snip>

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Its music to my ears Niall! Thanks. I'll pm you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

As a Mac Support Technician I can make one suggestion, dont use the large Apple approved repair shops. Apple have a seriously bad attitude to service in this country ( small market ). They have no problem selling new stuff but are cr@p if its faulty. Many bad stories of how badly they treat their approved repairers. One guy told me ( and I believe him ) that he made more money selling blank CDs than on repair. My advice is to use a small outfit ( like Niall ),get on first name basis and you will get a better service. I have used places like Image Supply Systems, Bondi group or Dectek in the past. Im fairly sure I know who gave you the poor service also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dottypat

I know what you mean. Had serious issues last year with a provider,
    Broke my heart handing over my Mac last week. Logic Board failure,
    But to my joy dectek turned it around in 3 days. Took nearly 2 weeks last year with a different repair shop.
    Back in business. Thank god:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

So there is hope! thanks guys for all the advice!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Cheers guys, I'm experiencing similar issues, where are dectek located?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dottypat

Based In Blanchardstown. They offer free pickup.
    http://www.dectek.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 IloveAchill

help! I bought a macbook back in 2006, so it is no longer under warranty. My battery died last year - despite installing different patches etc. I took my book back to the store in Dublin where I bought it from, they weren't interested in helping me but were happy to refer me to Mactivate - in blanch. A new baby came along, so I couldn't travel too far. Anyway - so I have been running on AC for just over a year.
    To my horror today, I plugged in, and it doesn't work at all - i.e. the power cable that usually plugs into the book usually lights up to green when it is connected to the mains. This doesn't happen.

Anyone heard of this before? Should I try mactivate? Are there any engineers on this forum that could help? I am based just north of Dublin.

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

Both battery and Power Supply problems dont require major engineering input.
    Batteries have varied lifespans and when they go you have to buy a new one.

I have lots of experience of the 'older' Mac PSU fraying ( usually at computer end ) through normal wear and tear. I havent seen this problem with the newer 'Magsafe' connector because it pulls out if excessive force is applied. Try gently bending the cable at the connector ( computer ) end. If this is gone you just have to buy a new one.

Names of Apple approved agents are in previous posts and for parts only get prices off Eurotec and Galmac ( Galway ). These items could in a way be regarded as consumables so buy the cheapest ( well maybe not the VERY cheapest battery ).

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

Hi, i'm curious...

Is there any reason why members don't post the name of companies that they've had bad experiences with? I do't think it's against the rules?

Also what does "<snip>" mean in nialler's post?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

sedohre wrote: »
    Hi, i'm curious...

Is there any reason why members don't post the name of companies that they've had bad experiences with? I do't think it's against the rules?

Blatant commercial advertising isnt permitted. There are forums here for doing those ads.

Some negative press about companies is censored, to avoid any legal action.

Re Dectek, I have heard some good things about them myself, although I havent personally used them. They did service some of the Xerox machines in a previous job too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

sedohre wrote: »
    the post has been edited by a mod

I was very up front about the company that I had such a bad experience with, and I dont see why I shouldn't be, I'm simply reporting an experience I had.

But just incase, the company's name rhymed with Craptivate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

I was very up front about the company that I had such a bad experience with, and I dont see why I shouldn't be, I'm simply reporting an experience I had.
    no-one said you cant be

babypink wrote: »
    no-one said you cant be

no worries, ;)

but there does seem to be a reluctance to name names on this particular topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Sorry to dig this up but I'm having a problem with my HDD in my MBP (under applecare) and was wondering should I contact apple directly or should I go directly to a repair company like Dectek?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

I had a really bad experience from getting my macbook pro repaired. I won't mention their name but they're probably the most widely advertised apple repair place in Dublin. The problem they'd to fix was solved but the edges of my screen all the way around were grimey and took me quite an effort to clean off.

I can't even begin to imagine how such a layer of dirt could get on my screen? It has put me off using them again. As I see it, either they have worrying care standards or else they gave me back my laptop with a different screen, which has made me a little paranoid. My screen or graphics was nothing to do with the problem. I was extremely pissed off.

Oh and they also didn't bother to contact me when there was a problem with my warranty, leaving me waiting for word that it was fixed while they just sat there doing nothing to it until I called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cc_Donegal

Advice appreciated! My daughter spilled juice on my mac notebook, plugged in and full battery. Totally dead now so assuming shorted out. Local pc repair place got data off hard drive but mac beyond their expertise.

Live in Donegal but from Dublin so puttin out feeler for advice if worth fixing and if so value repair place in either place.

So any advice on fix versus skip welcome!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Did you try to power it back on pretty soon after juice was spilled on it? Cause that would be quite bad... But beyond that, sugary/sticky liquids are the worst case scenario - lots of people have success getting things working after water damage, but anything sugary is much, much worse. My guess is that any repair will simply not be economical, but if you still want to get a quote, maybe try Mactivate:

http://www.mactivate.ie/

If your paying for any repairs yourself, I really think it's just not going to be worth it. However, if you have home insurance, it may be covered and that may be worth looking into instead.

I simply couldn't recommend Mactivate after my experience with them although that was a few years ago. If you are coming from Donegal to Dublin it might be worth checking out somewhere in Northern Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 bidzer

My ibook G4 just died on me -it won't power on, I'm not too upset as it was five years old and I have bought a macbook pro to replace it. How can I get all my programmes/music etc off it without shelling 175 euro in the mac store Dublin? doesn't this seem just a little extortionate??

Any advice greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

bidzer wrote: »
    My ibook G4 just died on me -it won't power on, I'm not too upset as it was five years old and I have bought a macbook pro to replace it. How can I get all my programmes/music etc off it without shelling 175 euro in the mac store Dublin? doesn't this seem just a little extortionate??

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Can you remove the HD on that one? If you can you could buy a caddy or external housing, unless of course it won't start because of HD problems, but it doesn't sound like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bidzer

Woah thanks for prompt reply. I have no idea, I'll look at it later. I know next to nothing about computers. I was kind of looking for someone to do all that for me... I would probably do damage to the new one :confused:

Bidzer

Considering the mac isn't worth much, go to ifixit.com they have take apart pictures that you can follow but you will need a set of torx screwdrivers and a USB2 2.5" sata caddy, it'll take about 20 mins if even that. Offer a good techie here a case of Coors or their preferred poison and I'm sure they'd do it for ya.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iBook-G4-14-Inch-1-42-GHz-Hard-Drive-Replacement/731/1

Just follow the first half of the instructions to remove the drive.

Bidzer you're going to put the HD from your old iBook into a caddy and plug it into the USB slot of the new macbook, do not under any circumstances put a screwdriver near your new mac. The old HD will not contain the proper operating system to run it.

If the Hard Drive isn't damaged you should be able to just conect the two Macs with a Fire Wire cable and it ought to just start up the Harddrive and pull your data off it, no caddys or otherwise required.

Valley read first post. Target disk mode requires you to start up the old machine holding T hence us suggesting caddies and ifixit.

nialler wrote: »
    Valley read first post. Target disk mode requires you to start up the old machine holding T hence us suggesting caddies and ifixit.

I was in a similar situation myself with my own G4 back book a few years ago and whilst I could be mistaken I seem to recall that I was able to access the drive with out starting the old one.

Apologies if I am mistaken.

Advertisement