Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geothermal heatpump running hours

Options
  • 31-03-2008 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Just throwing a question out there to anyone that has a Geothermal Heatpump installed.
    How many hours has your pump clocked up over 12 months?

What is the normal expected running time for a heatpump over a 12 month period?

I moved into a new build back in August '07.
    I have a 2500 sq ft house with UFH running in 3 rooms (+ hall and bathrooms) at ~20 deg.
    Heating is switched on since June '07 and so far have clocked up 2100 hours.

I'd like to see what other peoples running times are like.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thats in or about 7 hours per day lad, seem alright I suppose. Ours in on abut 5.5 to 6 per day, roughly

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭dryan

yop wrote: »
    Thats in or about 7 hours per day lad, seem alright I suppose. Ours in on abut 5.5 to 6 per day, roughly

Is that an average over a 1 year period? How long are you up and running?
    I found that during the winter (colder) months, the system is running alot but during the milder days, the hours being clocked up are pretty small. - to be expected i suppose.

Yop - what are you running expences like for the winter months? - Nov -> March say??

Also, the supplier told me that once the outside temp hits -3 degrees(ish), the system will run 99% of the time. Anyone notice this??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mossy74

My heat pump according to the supplier should run for 2000 hours approximately per year but it's closer to 3000! We have heating on in most rooms in the house (halls, bathrooms at 19C, bedrooms at 21C and living area at 22C). House is ~3600 sq ft and yes the pump does run for a lot of hours during the winter and hardly runs this time of the year (end Apr) onwards. The supplier claims that it is due to heat loss from the house but we've put in additional insulation on external walls, roof etc. i.e. everything as recommended - the result is higher running costs than I expected or was promised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

dryan , mossy would you mind taking part in this informal "feild testing" i am trying to assemble

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55749708#post55749708

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

You are going to have a higher running period over the first years operation of the pump on a new house due to the high moisture values in a new build.
    Also there are extra factors to take into account, such as the rating of your house under the new buildings reg... some houses have higher insulation values, also is it underfloor upstairs and downstairs?

So, unless you had a building energy assesment done on the house beofre you even decided to buy a heat pump its beyond me how the supplier can tell anyone what the running time and energy use of the unit would be.. becuase it is impossible to calculate without..

Looks like they gave you the standard issue guess. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement