Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on topic for economics/finance article

Options
  • 31-03-2008 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

This may seem a bit cheeky, but i've drawn a blank slate and need the help of people more knowledgeable than me.

Have to write a newspaper article (for a newspaper on the serious end of the scale) on an economics and finance topic. It can be on anything really, but must be something relatively novel (in terms of current economics research or topicality).

I've been looking up recent academic journal articles for ideas, following the news etc, but can't think of anything good.

My ideas so far:

1) Something on the economic value of a university to a region

2) Something on the value of a university education in the UK (given the introduction of fees)

3) Something on measuring CEO overconfidence and using that to predict takeovers or risky behaviour

4) Something on the economics of cinemas (a bit random!)

As you can see - not much in the way of ideas. Help please!

Comments

How `rigorous' does this need to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Essentially a rigourous basis for forming the argument, but the article itself wouldn't necessarily quote academic research. Think the ultimate thing is that the article should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

3) Something on measuring CEO overconfidence and using that to predict takeovers or risky behaviour

4) Something on the economics of cinemas (a bit random!)

As you can see - not much in the way of ideas. Help please!
    The last two I can't see working to be honest. I doubt the economics of cinemas would be very interesting.

The economics of corruption and its effects could be worth looking at. Quite topical due to the present situation of An Taoiseach ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

In the middle of coming up with similar ideas for an undergrad dissertation thing, not going too well!

emm...

An economic analysis of the cost vs benifits in buying a new car taking the new vs old mpg's and present value of money spent on fuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

How long is the article? That's really what limits what you can talk about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

The economics of pricing in cinemas is class! I will try dig up an article for you.

UNIFORM PRICES FOR DIFFERENTIATED GOODS: THE CASE OF THE MOVIE-THEATER INDUSTRY

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&cluster=4908998795018244256

PM me if you want me to email the pdf to ya.

Advertisement