Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin V9 or V10?

Options
  • 31-03-2008 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Just got my Garmin660 update cd -25/3/08. Called "Map Update 2008. City Navigator-Europe NT". No mention of V9 or V10. Seventy houses beside me - built 30yrs ago - are not included! Is this to be expected? Looks bad mapping to me. Put in two addresses, the other day, for another - very old - part of Dublin - results were "not available". Am disappointed to say the least as the Garmin660 is not cheap. Any comments? Maybe I got the wrong update cd? How is one to know? Cheers, Michael r.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

My understanding is that the version naming process was changed this year, the maps for last year were V9 but instead of V10 this year they went with 2008 City Navigator. I guess you need to make sure the update is loaded ok by checking the map info in settings. If you need any address or street checked on the 2008 version, post it. Still a lot missing from it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The users on this forum are referring to the 2008 update as V10 because before it came put that's what it was referred to, there actually is no such thing as V10 because as you say it's called 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ronan.michael@g

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    My understanding is that the version naming process was changed this year, the maps for last year were V9 but instead of V10 this year they went with 2008 City Navigator. I guess you need to make sure the update is loaded ok by checking the map info in settings. If you need any address or street checked on the 2008 version, post it. Still a lot missing from it tho.
    Thanks for reply. Beside me, but not available on my 660, is eg 22 Rockfield Park, Kilmacanogue, Co Wicklow, Ireland. Rockfield Park not on my maps at all! 50houses built around 40yrs ago. My faith in Garmin is heading downwards! Maybe they're all the same. Regards, Michael r. ps Would 75% accurate be a fair summation? Went to boast about the gps to a friend and both address he gave me were not on the unit - he won't get one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

22 Rockfield Park is in Ballynacarrig

Try it there, its in my GPS and I'm on v9 (the one before your one)

Finding addresses can be a precise job and be a right pain sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ronan.michael@g

22 Rockfield Park is in Ballynacarrig

Try it there, its in my GPS and I'm on v9 (the one before your one)

Finding addresses can be a precise job and be a right pain sometimes.
    Thanks for reply. That may be so but I am living beside Rockfield Park in Kilmacanogue - 5mins away.! Bugger! My 660 did'nt show up the one in Ballynacarrig - it showed up as not available. I must try different ways to get to the address I want - if possible. Thanks anyway. Michael r. ps Looks like I've got the right update -- for what its worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

best way to see if it's on the map is to drive over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I have a 370 but the europe maps are no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

I don't have my Garmin (250 with Euro maps) handy now but have the Nokia Maps. At least in Nokia the "Kilmanogue" seems to be spelled at "Kilmanoge". Nokia maps are Tele Atlas. Maybe it's something silly like that on Garmin too. Seems many Irish place names are misspelled...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks for reply. Beside me, but not available on my 660, is eg 22 Rockfield Park, Kilmacanogue, Co Wicklow, Ireland. Rockfield Park not on my maps at all! 50houses built around 40yrs ago. My faith in Garmin is heading downwards! Maybe they're all the same. Regards, Michael r. ps Would 75% accurate be a fair summation? Went to boast about the gps to a friend and both address he gave me were not on the unit - he won't get one!
    One of the problems, I think, is that when Navteq recently went all-out for the old 100% coverage thing, they indeed systematically covered areas they'd never been before, but didn't adequately re-check areas they already had covered, which may originally have been mapped years ago, or taken from obsolete OS mapping for instance. I have similar issues near to where I live in Bray, with roads not on there that have been there for literally decades, and have reported all of them to Navteq via their MapReporter facility.

FWIW your street is on the TeleAtlas maps that are on Google Maps, but the new junction at Kilmacanogue isn't on there yet. I'm not sure which is worse.

Advertisement