Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for male gerbil

Options
  • 30-03-2008 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all

I am a very small scale gerbil breeder (actually I have one pair that have been separated, they've had one litter and one on the way but it will be the mother's last). I have a lovely agouti girl named Togo who will be 5 weeks old next Tuesday, and I am looking for a mate for her to breed with when she is older.

I am preferably looking for a lilac spotted or pied boy. Togo's genetics are AaC-DDE-G-Pp. She has a 50/50 chance of being Cc(h). Her father is pied and she has two mottled sisters so she has a good chance of giving mottled babies herself if paired with a spotted boy because if you look closely you can see that she would have a white bib and some white toes if she were a self colour rather than an agouti. I am hoping she will produce argente golden and dove, so I would like a lilac mate for her. The spotting is not essential but I would prefer it. I would consider a baby or an adult, it would all depend on the individual gerbil. I would also strongly prefer a gerbil whose family background is known, and who was bred privately (i.e. not from a pet shop).

Rest assured that I do not supply to pet shops. I breed only for myself to keep, and if a friend wants a couple of babies from a litter I would consider that too. But they are not going to be bred specifically to be sold. Or fed to other animals! My gerbils are kept indoors in tanks and are all handled every day, all 11 of them (2 adults and 9 babies, 7 of which I am keeping, 2 of which are promised to a friend).

If anyone could help me out in this matter I would greatly appreciate it. Even if there isn't a gerbil available immediately, this isn't a problem as I am willing to wait as long as it takes to find the right boy.

Thank you :)

PS Sorry for all the genetic mumbo-jumbo! I'm hoping there's someone on here who understands it! lol

Advertisement