Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mail Order Fish

Options
  • 30-03-2008 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi im big into fish well guppies really addicted to say the least. I have been on a number of websites (american) who have said they order fish from aquabid. I was just wandering if anybody has had first hand experience with this kind of thing because although my LFS is ok with its range of guppies I would like to own some different exotic style ones :D to brighten up my tanks.
    THanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Any animal by mail is a no no in my book. Fish can end up dead on arrival. There are plenty of aquatic places around atm where you can go and see the fish beore you buy and transport them safely yourself. Personally I wouldnt go near anywhere that mails animals even if they have a good record.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 IMsOgr8

I dont mean to be cocky but how do you think the fish get here in the first place:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

IMsOgr8 wrote: »
    I dont mean to be cocky but how do you think the fish get here in the first place:o
    spawned in our rivers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 IMsOgr8

:DYeah right mate lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

The Boardwalk Pet Store have great variations of guppies. Beautiful blues and greens and silvers the last time I was in. As far as I know they will order you some different colours if you ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bogwarrior

i have had tropical fish for years , most of the tropical fish are shipped in from abroad . air mail is the most reliable way that the shops get their fish .i try to only use captive bread fish , ie not sourced from the wild . even so most fish are sent to the shops by post . if they are cheaper and not in your local shops you should give it a go . ;)

In this day and age a large aquatics place will breed their own fish why put fish through the stress and risk of death from transporting them from abroad. God knows theres enough varieties of pets available in this country thing is when buying from abroad you usually have no way of knowing where exactly the animals came from.

Theres a large aquatics place I think they have now moved to Carlow..Henneseys as far as I know they breed their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Hi.
    You probably can order them through mail order. However, you probably will have to pay a huge cost re. shipping. You might also find that the minimum quantity to make it economical might not suit you ...The other concern I would have is the amount of time needed for them to arrive, sit in the airport's cold and drafty warehouse for customs clearance ... there might be a lot of DOAs by the time you get hold of the box!
    If I were you, I see to order them through a good LFS - at least, you would get them alive :-)

ValerieR
    www.irishfishkeepers.com

In this day and age a large aquatics place will breed their own fish why put fish through the stress and risk of death from transporting them from abroad. God knows theres enough varieties of pets available in this country thing is when buying from abroad you usually have no way of knowing where exactly the animals came from.

Theres a large aquatics place I think they have now moved to Carlow..Henneseys as far as I know they breed their own.
    yes they breed themselves but not enough to supply and thats why alot of good pet shop prefer to order by mail or post saves thehassles and the fish are covered by insurance with the suppliers.
    wouldnt it be fuuny enough that some one might send fish by letters?lol.

ValerieR wrote: »
    Hi.
    You probably can order them through mail order. However, you probably will have to pay a huge cost re. shipping. You might also find that the minimum quantity to make it economical might not suit you ...The other concern I would have is the amount of time needed for them to arrive, sit in the airport's cold and drafty warehouse for customs clearance ... there might be a lot of DOAs by the time you get hold of the box!
    If I were you, I see to order them through a good LFS - at least, you would get them alive :-)

ValerieR
    www.irishfishkeepers.com
    hi val whats LFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

davey180 wrote: »
    hi val whats LFS

It's Local Fish Shop/Store :)

I know suppliers would obviously use a courier service my hubbys a postie and so far no live animals have been found in the sorting office he he.

Insurance or no insurance that must mean that more often than not fish die during transport. I guess coz they are 'just fish' and easy to replace many people dont care about that though :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

IMsOgr8 wrote: »

Its not all roses - have you seen the state that some of the fish arrive in?? Are you equiped to cater for it? I've been in several good pet shops that have shoals of fish riddled with white spot, fin rot and all sorts.
    Besides, if it was that easy, and the fish so much more spectacular then how come the petshops aren't already providing them?

I was out in Wackers on the longmile road last weekend, and they had a beautiful selection of fish. It was my first time in that shop - and I was mighty impressed. Another excellent petshop is Aquatic Village. I like shopping there becuase they tend to import unusual fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

I can get any breed of guppy imaginable from petmania santry. If there is a particular fish you are looking for then why not order through a shop, let them do the hard work and you will not have to pay extra.

Jimkel wrote: »
    I can get any breed of guppy imaginable from petmania santry. If there is a particular fish you are looking for then why not order through a shop, let them do the hard work and you will not have to pay extra.
    +1

Advertisement