Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding Cost

Options
  • 30-03-2008 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark figure on the feeding cost (dry feeds) of a mid sized dog, my kids are looking for a dog I've never owned a dog myself.
    Do most pet owners take out insurance for their pets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

There was an article in The Irish Times or the Indo a few years back, where it was reckoned that to keep a dog or a cat for a year it would be about £1500.

This included jabs, feeding, worming, flea treatments, pet insurance, toys, two weeks boarding fees, etc.

Er, feeding costs? Well, a mid-sized dog would be a cocker spaniel. Go to your local pet store, look at a bag of quality dog-food (note: Pedigree Chum and most of the brands in the supermarket ARE NOT quality dog food. Top Breeders only recommend Pedigree because the top breeders in question are the Best in Show winners at Crufts and since Pedigree sponsors Crufts...)

There is a guideline on the side of the bag of food, saying how much several sizes of dog would require in a day. Divide number of grams per day by total weight of food in bag, that gives you how many days the bag should last you.
    Divide cost of bag of food by number of days to give you the daily price for feeding a dog.

Multiply daily price X 365 to give the yearly price for feeding said dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭bradnailer

Thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

i have a mid sized dog, weighs approx 27Kg, Did on the last visit to vet. Food for her costs about €243 a year. the bag costs €14 every three week. Get pet insurance, Im sorry i didnt as the dog has a minor skin problem. It would have cost €150 for the year when I priced it but never got around to getting it at the time. the usual, put it on the long finger:(

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

I would definitely advise you to get pet insurance ! This means if your pet does become sick that you can treat it in the best possible manner and not according to your budget, especially if its going to be a much loved family pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If you sign up for the pet insurance via your vet, as opposed to calling Allianz directly yourself, then they will give 6 weeks pet insurance free!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Yep just figure out the amount per day and then figure out how long the bag will last and you should get an idea of how much per week etc. You should either feed good quality dry food like Burns or a fresh diet. (i.e. meat, vegetables etc)

before you get a dog you really need to make sure that you are willing to do the work and commit yourself for up to 20 years or so. (dog's can live to be that old) and not just get one because the kids want one.

If you'd like to consider adopting a dog or a puppy try http://www.irishanimals.com or http://petsireland.invisionzone.com :)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭bradnailer

Thanks for all the advice.
    I've thought about it for along time, I was waiting for our youngest girl to be a little older for a puppies sake,my son's been looking for a dog for a couple of years, myself and my wife are keen on it, not rushing into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

bubby wrote: »
    If you sign up for the pet insurance via your vet, as opposed to calling Allianz directly yourself, then they will give 6 weeks pet insurance free!!

I kind of think this is a bit sneaky of them, cause if u buy it on the net it works out about the same price as the free 2 months they give (cheaper to buy on the net).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

This is 4 years ago now but ill give you an average cost of what it was to do all the initial stuff for my small dog she is now 7kg smaller than a king charles. This is a very rough guide but it will give you and idea.

1st vaccination: 20.00
    Booster: 20.00r
    Kennel Cough vaccination: 20.00
    Spay: 70.00 (I belive its around 100 to 150 nowdays)
    Microchip: 40.00
    Collar, lead, ID tag: 15.00
    Groomer: 30 to 35 euro per session
    Dog food is at the moment costing me 54.00 euro for large bag of Burns dog food which lasts me about 6 weeks if I remember rightly which is around 10 euro or less a week?

I noticed today at the vets that royal canine have a rough guide to how much it would cost and a boxer sized dog was about 1.67 per day on royal canine dry food if I remember rightly.

Insurance I would go for one my dogs is too old now but i keep meaning to insure the other one something I should of done a long time ago not sure how much it is atm. It is worth it though.

There is a spay/neuter scheme out there as well for people less well off.

Also factor in a kennel or doggy bed dog crate/puppy classes if any in the area etc costs doggy toys (which you will end up spending a fortune on even if the dog doesnt want them lol).

Tons of pooches of all shapes and sizes out there looking for a home I would proabably go for something around the size of a small beagle, not too small and delicate but not too large that he/she sends kids flying. Not saying larger dogs dont make good pets but if you havent had one before its a good gauge for younger children. Saying that when we were kids we had a red setter she was mad but lovely.

We have a border collie and a small mix as well our 9 year old gets on great with both even if the collie has no brakes and bumps into her now and then.

Advertisement