Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello all

Options
  • 30-03-2008 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

hello everyone. new to the whole dj'ing world. I've always loved dance music but unfortunately i'm from Monaghan which equals stupid ****ty country culty folk requesting dolly parton and darudes sandstorm (I **** you not)

In one of the dance bars i go to at the weekend, the dj is a nonce. He plays the worst possible music and can't mix two tunes to save his life. When he comes to the end of a track he spins it until it completely stops (lack of dj'ing wordage - help me out) and then starts up a new track. ON EVERY TRACK. Not only that, but whenever a song is building up to a climax he likes to talk into the mic (his own voice far higher than the actual song). There's no continuous "flow" to the music. pisses me and my friends off to no end. /rant

anyway, ever since seeing dave clarke and erol alkan (dave especially) at oxe gen (MCD :(), i've seen what a real dj can do. I see a gap in the market and thought, why the **** not.

I'm a digital guy and i plan to work completely digital. Looking at buying the Behringer BCD2000 and VDJ. Looks cheap and cheerful. good for a novice. opinions?

That's my introduction over.
    you may clap. :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Check my site for a REAL digital set up! I had a BCD and sold it within 6 weeks. I kept freezing, not what you want when in front of 500 ravers! The 00DJ is expensive, (€3,500!) but well worth it. Good luck and when you have got over 25,000 songs you might be able to fill the gap in Monaghan. Just remember that it's not easy competing with someone established. The guy at my local pub was bad, but he might have been cheap or a friend of the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Welcome mate there's some good discussion on here about all things dance music related.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

@ DJ Spider

yeah, my mate had the same problems with the BCD crashing, but there's a fix in the configuration you have to apply in VDJ...after that it works grand.

as for 3500, i think i might have to get a few gigs and get my name out if im gonna invest that sorta dosh....plus, i don't think i'll be dj'ing for 500 people anytime soon.....hence the cheap gear. want to get a feel for dj'ing/the music etc.

25,000 songs? yup, im currently trying to get my library full to the brim, but im finding it a bit of a slog. I would actually give you sexual favours if you'd burn me a dvd or 2 with some good ravers tunes...(pay you any expenses plus a little-i design websites so maybe a trade??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Luke! Broughan

hey Smyth,

if you arre getting into DJ software and laptop DJ stuff,GO FOR IT!

(if you have a lot of you music on a harddrive or whatever like)

Id suggest this yokey bob here:

http://www.vestax.com/v/products/players/img/vci100_01_b.jpg

hope that link works,
    one of the lads i know uses this for djing,its a real solid (tuff aluminium) dj controller which is fully equiped with audio jack's n stuff (so i think you can monitor pretty easily.)

Beware,monitoring can be a bit of a problem with certain USB "dj controllers",as some do not even have audio in/outs on em....:( :(

so beware,id go for the Vestax(they are japonese,all japonese stuff is rad,i use korg,and Pioneer stuff and i cant fault it :pac:)

get some decent software(however,Virtual DJ worked fine on my friends laptop,he he thinks its fine,the next bitta software up from that would be Traktor or sumthin...im not real au fait with various softwares,but sure,if in doubht Google it)

a lot of this stuff is available in town too,i think "sounds around" and "maplins" in dublin stock these too:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/numark-total-control-dj-controller.jpg

i think when you buy this you get a full package of everything you need.

best of luck with that dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    Check my site for a REAL digital set up! I had a BCD and sold it within 6 weeks. I kept freezing, not what you want when in front of 500 ravers! The 00DJ is expensive, (€3,500!) but well worth it. Good luck and when you have got over 25,000 songs you might be able to fill the gap in Monaghan. Just remember that it's not easy competing with someone established. The guy at my local pub was bad, but he might have been cheap or a friend of the owner.

Despite your 25.000 songs i get a persistent feeling that the vast majority of them would have me kicking down the fire exit doors....

It's not about how many tunes you have it's what you do with them.

• Advertisement

Smyth wrote: »
    burn me a dvd or 2 with some good ravers tunes...(pay you any expenses plus a little-i design websites so maybe a trade??)

Sorry but I like to be legit so copying music isn't my thing. There are plenty of sites where you can download music for a very good price. Even Tescos!

@[cm]tyranny well I have had good responses to what I do with my songs. I am not one of these DJ's that mix and beat match and always have the latest dance or rave toons! I mainly do birthdays and a regular gig in a hard drinkers pub. So really only need the cheesy party tunes. The ones people can sing along to and do drunken silly dancing!

Each DJ has thier own style, I find that mine works! :D

It's not about how many tunes you have it's what you do with them.[/QUOTE]

TRUE THAT..

thats across the board

Also a case of if it aint broke, don't try to fix it! I don't know about you but has anyone been to the czech in or doyles? I have and the DJ's there are really bad! They chop and change so much it is painful. Going from Abba to Rihanna, then to AC/DC!

look man,tell me about it,there is a club near where i live in bray seafront and the dj is throwing on Faithless: "Insomnia" then straight after that,"ring of fire" Johnny cash.

diabolical.

Some dj's need a flippin' decaf..

Thing is these are busy pubs in the centre of town, don't people care about music? Or is it because we are in the business and know what is good?! I couldn't believe it when I heard the guy in the czech inn, he needed more of a playlist than a decaf! in fact we gave him a list when we had the BGRH beers, he still didn't take the hint! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

I totally agree with keeping things legit. The equipment from ebay hasn't even arrived so all i need music for is to practice in my bedroom.

When (if) I get a gig, i'll make up a decent set and buy the **** off itunes. 99c per tune i think.

Yeah,i agree with you,its all depends on the venue,what kind of customers are there and all these things play a major role in what kind of music is gonna have to get played..

True Luke, but there is a differance between making sure people have a good time and being a musical butterfly! I know I'm not perfect and don't even beatmatch! I am even so lazy I use automix on my system. :eek: But there is something to be said for having fluidity to songs. I wouldn't go from something like hard rock to r&b.

Oh well maybe I'm just being picky, but I get enough people saying things like, play this, play that, this is crud we can't dance to it. As one of my mates on the PCDJ forum has on his sig:
    Punter: Play something decent
    DJ: Nah, (pointing to packed dancefloor) I'll play this crud stuff nobody likes!

Advertisement