Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Digital Satellite System €80 including 57cm dish, receiver & twin LNB.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Outstanding value for money.
    Really nice kit with all the bits and bobs necessary .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Did anyone get one of these the last time, and how did they find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

If you're confident you can install it yourself, they are a great introduction to satellite tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

I got this the last time - a great buy! Positioning the dish isn't too bad at all. There are some great info sites there (do a search of Watty & Co.'s posts on the Tech/Sattelite forum - very helpful!).

I do find that during very stormy weather, some channels will lose the signal intermittently - to do with the dish/mounting AFAIK. But not serious enough to be a problem for me anyway! The other 99% of the time its perfect. For 80 squid you can't really go wrong I think.

I bought the 'extension cable kit' with the last one - haven't used it yet though.

I wonder is it worth buying a 2nd one now to have another set top box for another TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Its a good way to get a cheap second receiver but bear in mind you will need to change the lnb (the thing that the cable connects too on the dish) to a twin or quad output lnb and connect a second cable. Lots more info on this thread in the satellite forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054982781

Doodlebug wrote: »

I wonder is it worth buying a 2nd one now to have another set top box for another TV?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

Tony wrote: »
    Its a good way to get a cheap second receiver but bear in mind you will need to change the lnb (the thing that the cable connects too on the dish) to a twin or quad output lnb and connect a second cable. Lots more info on this thread in the satellite forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054982781

But the good thing about these LIDL kits is that it comes with a twin Lnb, which is very handy. Most other FTA kits just come with a single.

I see, even better value then, I stand corrected

christo82 wrote: »
    But the good thing about these LIDL kits is that it comes with a twin Lnb, which is very handy. Most other FTA kits just come with a single.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

The receiveris fine, but the quality of the Lidl dish bracket is very poor - do not put up in a very xposed location or it will soon fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

homer911 wrote: »
    The receiveris fine, but the quality of the Lidl dish bracket is very poor - do not put up in a very xposed location or it will soon fail

Do NOT use that bracket - it will break your heart. A good quality one is a very small investment. The dish isnt great but you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I'd agree with the comments so far it's a great deal. I paid €60 for a satellite receiver alone in Maplins, and that was the cheapest one they had. If anyone really wants this I'd suggest going early, or if you can't shop early try to arrrange someone to get it for you in the morning, otherwise you find it'll probably be sold out. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'd say spend bit more cash and get decent equipment unless u want it for summer home and take it in for the winter. With freesat coming on soon, you will find those receivers will be the best value so I woldn't be too quick unless u want a 2nd box and spare lnb otherwise not great value

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭tubos

Can I use this as a second receiver with a sky dish?? I have a room with a second cable coming from the dish, could I just attach the box to this coax??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You can indeed, will work grand as a FTA box and handy price for it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

tubos wrote: »
    Can I use this as a second receiver with a sky dish?? I have a room with a second cable coming from the dish, could I just attach the box to this coax??

Just to expand on this a bit further.
    I have a standard sky setup and id like to get another setup so that certain people can soaps ;)

Could i take the twin lnb from this kit, and swap it onto my sky dish. then run two coax's cable from my sky dish. One to my sky box, and the other to the lidl receiver box.
    And can i then watch rte and bbc on my fta lidl box, without having to reposition my sky dish?

Thanks for the help guys. im a total nob at this. Sorry i meant noob ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

slemons wrote: »
    I have a standard sky setup and id like to get another setup so that certain people can soaps ;)

Could i take the twin lnb from this kit, and swap it onto my sky dish. then run two coax's cable from my sky dish. One to my sky box, and the other to the lidl receiver box.
    And can i then watch rte and bbc on my fta lidl box, without having to reposition my sky dish?

BBC and ITV are FTA, but RTE and TV3 aren't. So you could get the UK soaps but not Fair S*itty. Be thankful for small mercies.

No the lnb is not compatible with a sky dish, you need a quad lnb specifically for a sky dish. I think it might be a good idea if further technical questions were posted on the existing thread in the satellite forum. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054982781

slemons wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Popeleo wrote: »
    BBC and ITV are FTA, but RTE and TV3 aren't. So you could get the UK soaps but not Fair S*itty. Be thankful for small mercies.

But you can usually get them (RTE and TV3) with an indoor aerial or plug-in amplified aerial (about €20 in Maplins/Argos), or alternatively a separate installed roof/loft aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

TheDriver wrote: »
    I'd say spend bit more cash and get decent equipment unless u want it for summer home and take it in for the winter. With freesat coming on soon, you will find those receivers will be the best value so I woldn't be too quick unless u want a 2nd box and spare lnb otherwise not great value

I would second this and have first hand experience - I got two lidl systems a few years back and mounted one dish and used two receivers off it. This is on a summer house in Wexford. I went down last week for first time in a few months and my lidl dish is literally bent over in two pieces - the top mounting screws had given way. The bracket mounting it to the wall is looking rusty too so think that might give way soon too.

I have teh second dish too and are going to mount that and give it a try and will try rust protection on the bits that gave way - will report back next year.

Cannot fault the receivers and the two LNB's is handy too. I paid more than €80 too - not sure if it was €99 or possibly €199, but they were lidl kit.

In general though lidl kit is great and I think there is a long warranty on it too so may consider trying my arm at taking back the knackered dish

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

The Lidl dishes and LNB's are crap, I spent 3 hours yesterday with an 80cm solid dish that I bought before, some of the bolt nuts where missing the dish had been kept in a dry shed but the dish arm had started rusting and the clamping for the braket were poor, if your into a decent setup I'd go for something like this for 99euros http://www.freesat.ie/index.php?cat=DIY_satellite_systems1

Advertisement