Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Themed party - any advice???

Options
  • 29-03-2008 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭

Hey ladies,

I've been invited to a 1920's themed party. I'm a little worried though because I have no idea about 1920's fashion. I've googled it but from what I've seen I'm not a bit impressed lol. I know very little about this era so I was just wondering if anyone knows what kind of clothes/make-up was used?? And if so, where would be a good place to find something pretty but reasonably priced.
    I have long dark hair, pale skin and like my eyes done dark in eyeliner and mascara. I don't know how I can make it work with this theme lol???!!!!
    Any ideas? I don't wana look like a clown:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lyndy

I think that a twenties dancer would be quite popular and it should be easy to find some of the outfit in a dance shop.
    2000434937460211444_th.jpg

Dont know where you could get the following but maybe look for something different like this?

2000350102495358838_th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Lol thank you lyndy. I thought nobody was going to reply.

So does this mean that lace and corset styles are completely out of the qyuestion? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

You didn't mention how soon the do is, but have you tried here?

It's next week. I would rather find something myself that I can try on and feel confident about wearing. I'm just not an ebay fan lol thank you Abigayle, I'm just useless at fashion things, I have no idea what I'm even looking for tbh. I just got the invitation today and all I know is I have to dress up as a 1920's lady. I don't know how or why or what to do, haha:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

MizzLolly wrote: »
    It's next week. I would rather find something myself that I can try on and feel confident about wearing. I'm just not an ebay fan lol thank you Abigayle, I'm just useless at fashion things, I have no idea what I'm even looking for tbh. I just got the invitation today and all I know is I have to dress up as a 1920's lady. I don't know how or why or what to do, haha:D

What part of the country are you in, do you mind me asking? Trying to think where you could get an outfit. I'm thinking fancy dress shop, because if you try make-shifting an outfit it might look a bit cr@p ;)

• Advertisement

I'm in Dublin :)

Aww seriously people, help!!! :confused:

Who was famous around that time? What kinda make up was used? Can I not wear lace and corset style dresses? lol Helllppp... Google is letting me down. I'm relying on you guys!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Watch the Aviator. and then arrive in one of those bikes with one small wheel and one really big wheel :D And tell the host of the "party" that it should be called a Box Social!

p.s. Your underwear must also be MASSIVE

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Boobs (or fronts as they were known!) were not in fashion. Girls used to flatten them down.

When I think of 1920s fashion I always think of Thoroughly Modern Millie, there were some great costumes in that!

576929_DV_L_F.jpg

modmil.gif

millie_web.jpg

Flapper Dresses were big also.

a_flapper.jpg

Take a look at the stockings in this, it was quite common:
    flapper_cola.jpg

Now you can buy flapper costumes online but they're rubbish. I bought one last Halloween but I had to do so much work on it to make it wearable I may as well have made it from scratch.

So in summation, think Feather Boas, Fringe, Long strings of pearls, little beaded skull caps, shift dresses, stockings rolled down below the knee and Mary Jane Shoes.

I've got a black halter neck dress similar to the red one in the above post? Would that be suitable? My hair is long, I really don't want one of those 1920's neat and tidy styles. Also, if I wear that dress how can I convince others there that I'm in costume lol, it's a dress that I've worn to weddings and all. Very nice lol. Is there some kind of accessory or dramatic make up trick I could do to show I've made an effort rather than just putting on a frilly dress?? lol
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭miami2007

hey mizzlolly, havent you ever seen 'the house of elliot'??!! oh i used to love it...brilliant idea for a themed party! any dress with a drop waist and you could have a head band with a feather on it, perfect!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Here's What you do:

Get a red feather boa, they had one in Claire's Accessories last week. You could also get a black bob wig and get a cigarette holder. I'll PM you a pic of my hair and makeup from halloween.

I wore fishnets with large holes instead of the stocking thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭shazpunk

Think Charlston dancing and the age of Jazz

Dropped waists and frills. Lace and corcets are SERIOUSLY out of the question. How to make your dress look like a costume; Long cig holder, Head band with a feather(worn down on the forehead), a feather bowa and peep toe, t-bar, mary janes.

If you get a simple straigh shapless dress, wear is short, add a fe rows of frills to the bottom and wear with slouchy hold ups that would look perfect!

as for make up, skin was cream/ivory, eyes lined and lashes painted black, tourquise, grey and green eye shadow was popular, and were done very feminine like. lips were painted in a narrow and plumper shape, not the natural line of the lip, kind of a doll look about them.

I love 20's fashion, its so fun :) have you seen Chicago? or Bugsey Malone? Thats perfect!!

I haven't seen any of the movies mentioned :eek:
    Hahaha, thanks for the advice.
    I've got a bit of a challenge ahead of me I think!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭shazpunk

It wont be that hard seriously!! If you're having a problem finding a dress, get a t-shirt dress and adjust the sleves (just take them off) and sew about 5 strands of frill (€4/m in hickys) around the bottom, the first at the very bottom, the second about 3cm above it, and so on... put a few strings of beeds from like the pound show around your neck and the rest of the accessories I mentioned above.

Like its only a party at the end of the day, I'm sure the dress up is just ment as a bit of fun, So I wouldnt worry about it too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Once you have the flapper dress sorted, long string of pearls, wear a pair of mary-janes and as long as you have a feather coming out of a band on your head then you will look the part. No need to reply with a lol:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭B1977

Try MAGICSHOPLIMERICK.COM they are based in Limerick and can order in specific costumes at really cheap prices.

Advertisement