Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day of The Dead (2008)

Options
  • 29-03-2008 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭

It's bad. Very, very bad. So abominably bad, like the holocaust or children with AIDS bad. The acting was mostly terrible especially Nick Cannon who played possibly the most stereotypical 'wise crackin black guy' (yo ma niggaz these zombies iz whack fo sho) I've ever seen and was as believable as a soldier as I am a giant cat called Sprinkles.
    The effects were quite bad and poorly thought out especially the CGI blood and fire effects. The gore is pretty light compared to recent zombie flicks (especailly so compared to the 1985 DotD). Any heavy violent scenes are more laughable than creepy or scary due to the bad MS Paint style effects. The plot is your average straightforward survival situation. There is zero character development or insightful commentary. Thankfully aside from a few characters with the same names the film bore little resemblance to Romero's film.

The zombies were quite inconsistent and didn't make much sense in most places. In one instance a person enters a room to find a recently killed man. Instead of eating it's fresh victim the zombie is waiting behind the door for the person. Also these "zombies" bring a whole new level to the debate of whether fast zombies are actually zombies or not. Yes, not only do these ones run fast but they also perform gravity defying jumps and run along walls and ceilings like Spider-Man. Added to that instead of the usual snarls or moans we all expect to hear coming from the lips of our rotting friends the zombies here make roaring dinosaur like sounds. I **** you not. Could it get worse? Oh yes; zombies' heads explode on contact with fire and vegetarians wont consume flesh if they become zombies.

This film is garbage. Utter ****ing trash.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

It doesnt surprise me in the slightest that this sucks.

The Dawn remake was utter garbage IMO so I had expected this to reek like bell-cheese anyway but thats a pretty damning synopsis.

Unfortunatly though this will no doubt make a $hit load at the box office so the rape and pillage of genre classics will continue unabated.

Sigh.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Unfortunatly though this will no doubt make a $hit load at the box office so the rape and pillage of genre classics will continue unabated.

Nope, as far as I know, it's going straight to DVD.

Nope, as far as I know, it's going straight to DVD.

Maybe there is a God after all.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Maybe there is a God after all.
    :D

And a God that likes horror films, at that. I like him already. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There was another review posted here a month or so back, which was largely positive at least in regards to a healthy volume of copious gore and violence, so I'm remaining optimistic on this one!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There was another review posted here a month or so back, which was largely positive at least in regards to a healthy volume of copious gore and violence, so I'm remaining optimistic on this one!

Yeah, but by your own admission you'll watch any old crap and make every pretence as to having enjoyed it ;) Personally I'm sticking to the "avoid like Ebola" policy I decided on the day I heard about this "reimagining"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Yeah TerrorFirmer you'll probably love Day of the Dead. Actually compared to some of the stuff you like it would be considered a modern classic :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I'll be giving this one a look anyway. Even if it is a bit crap it couldn't be a case of a classic being raped since the original Day of the Dead has never been afforded 'classic' status and is easily the weakest of Romeros original trilogy.

While it may not be as highly regarded by the critics as Dawn it is still a genre classic.There are no American made zombie movies that come close to the original Day and Dawn IMO.
    Some of the Italian one's-Zombie Flesh Eaters,Dr Butcher etc may come close in the gore stakes but nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

It doesn't matter whether you consider the original a classic or not as this one is Day of The Dead in name only. So even if you believe a bad remake somehow takes away from a good original (which I don't thankfully) there's no case for it here.

Anyway watch away. I'm sure some of ye with less discriminating tastes wont be as offended as I was but then I'm a bit of an elitist when it comes to zombie movies.

• Advertisement

Creature wrote: »
    I'm a bit of an elitist when it comes to zombie movies.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

The Dawn remake was utter garbage IMO so I had expected this to reek like bell-cheese anyway but thats a pretty damning synopsis.

Are you insane man!?!? It was great. Right down to the soundtrack, snazzy editting, great shots, characters etc. Great remake!

Kernel wrote: »
    Are you insane man!?!? It was great. Right down to the soundtrack, snazzy editting, great shots, characters etc. Great remake!

I went to see it in the cinema and thought it sucked.It was on tv recently and I watched it again managing to make it half way through before switching off.I hated it with a passion and no one can tell me any different.
    Thats just my opinion and alot of people here seemed to really like it but for me there wasnt a single redeeming feature to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well I watched this tonight.

Wasn't that bad - certainly enjoyable. Though it is completely inconsistent, in every aspect - good and bad acting, terrible and excellent effects, and worst of all, zombies that shuffle, run, sprint, jump several times their own height and even somehow manage to climb along ceilings. One thing I loved though was the way in which the stereotypical black character questioned all the clichees they found themselves victim to.... but went along with them anyway.

Could be worse but just as equally could have been far better with a few differences - the real flaws are not a result of budget but of direction. The make up and gore was largely excellent - I can easily forgive the terrible CGI flame effects -; the approach to the zombies was the exact opposite and really damaged a film with potential.

Worth a watch, but can see why it went straight to video release. I actually thought it was inferior to the Return of the Living Dead 5 and if you're seen said movie, this is along similar lines.

Advertisement