Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Protection

Options
  • 29-03-2008 1:42pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

i am not sure if this is in the right forum but anyhoo......

i am in the process of doing the garden. I am probably not explaining myself correctly but......I have been looking information on various herbs and plants to create a protection border about the garden.

I have the Magic gardener and a few other witchcraft type gardening books but they havent been answering my question.

I am thinking about planting lavender and rosemary plants along the walls. would this work?

also i am looking for the properties of the herbs and which ones i should be planting to bring happiness and success.

any help and/or ideas would be really appreciated

thanks

IB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs is a good book, i also have Gerard's Herbal, but its more just as a curious little book.
    Quick snoop around brought up this which might help you.

St John’s Wort,Rosemary and Garlic are generally considered protective herbs as well as Heather and Elder (although different trads have differing opinions on its use).
    Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

nerin wrote: »
    St John’s Wort,Rosemary and Garlic are generally considered protective herbs as well as Heather and Elder (although different trads have differing opinions on its use).Hope this helps :)

With the recent change in law any one growing, propagating or tending St John's Wort can be prosecuted so do keep that in mind. I would also add fennel,Lilac and Angelica to that list. Also not harm in having a few nettles.

What type protection are you looking for IB ?

And I know someone in your area who is looking to transplant an elder, if you are interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I know its not a herb but you should also source a little bit of the crystal black tourmaline to ward off negative energy. Keep this as close as possible (on the outside) to your main entrance to the house.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Thaedydal wrote: »
    With the recent change in law any one growing, propagating or tending St John's Wort can be prosecuted so do keep that in mind. I would also add fennel,Lilac and Angelica to that list. Also not harm in having a few nettles.

What type protection are you looking for IB ?

And I know someone in your area who is looking to transplant an elder, if you are interested.

nettles really, they are the bain of my life, my garden is riddled i cant get rid of them and i am fair allegric to them

I just want to keep my house safe from the bad peoples and maybe attract a bit of good luck when i am at it.

I will say no to the tree thanks, i have to get rid of 3 of them them, they have gone far too and have already pushed down my garden wall
    Miss Fluff wrote: »
    I know its not a herb but you should also source a little bit of the crystal black tourmaline to ward off negative energy. Keep this as close as possible (on the outside) to your main entrance to the house.

this miss fluff, am sourcing some at the moment

Well it is a very small elder an off shoot of an older tree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Robot1

Can it really be an offence to grow St John's Wort? I thought the law only limited the distribution of prepared herb to prescription only. As far as I can make out the herb can be brought into the state, but can not be distributed to any third party.

Yes it is an offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Robot1

Thanks for the info about growing SJW, but could you point me in the direction of the specific legislation. I know ignorance of the law is no excuse but all my web searches have been pretty fruitless. Thanks a million

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well, i bought my plant in Aldi last summer so it must have been banned very recently

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I was under the impression it had been banned almost 10 years ago, but that might just have been the uk (I recall working a call centre job where we were selling it off to people before the ban came in about 9 or 10 years ago).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 londubh

plant the following at corners or along borders for protection,
    bay, palm, cactus, juniper, rowan, basil, cumin, wild garlic, parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, vetivert.
    the following chase away unhappiness: chamomile, fennel, juniper, lavender, mint, parsley, pine, rosemary, thyme.
    to promote happiness and success more or less anything yellow.

my advice is dont go by lists though, trust your instincts, what flowers or plants make you feel happy and safe? they are probably the best ones for you. i personally love lavender, juniper, basil, any mint, snapdragons and sunflowers! bear in mind symbolism in the shapes of petals and leaves.
    have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 londubh

the main reason st johns wort is unavailable and an offense to grow. is because too many people were self-medicating and there is no proof it can help with sucidal tendencies.
    it also counteracts contraceptive pill and was predominatly used by post-natal depressed women who would then get pregnant again and thus back to square 1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Kharn wrote: »
    I was under the impression it had been banned almost 10 years ago, but that might just have been the uk (I recall working a call centre job where we were selling it off to people before the ban came in about 9 or 10 years ago).
    i vaguely remember being at a gathering my mentor brought me to at 16, only four years and people were talking about a ban. might have been it.

It with so called magic mushrooms are illegal to nuture and propigate.
    Which is daft cos so much of it grows wild.

Advertisement