Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting married during study leave?

Options
  • 28-03-2008 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Have posted this under the Weddings thread also but thought I might get some good advice here too! Most people seem to think its a bad idea:(

Just wondering if any of you have (or know someone who has) ever gotten married during study leave for professional accounting (ACA) exams. My fiance and I are thinking of getting married in the middle of June next year (2009) and my study leave for the FAE exams is from June to early September. As some of you will know, there is only one attempt at these exams so if you fail you must repeat the full years study and repeat the following September. I think I can afford to take 2 weeks off i.e. one week leading up to wedding and one weeks honeymoon but I was wondering if any of you who have done this think this can be done, especially considering my study will be majorly interrupted and my fiance and I will also be purchasing/looking for a house to rent at this time too. I know people who have gone on holidays during study leave so just checking if its also possible to get married during study leave and also pass the exams! I would try to have all the wedding preps done before June and then if anything goes wrong, ask my fiance to look after it! My fiance will be doing a postgrad from Sept 08 - May 09 and my exams are in early Sept 09 so this is almost the only time we can do it! Do ye think it can be done? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Font is really way too small.

Taking time of from your study leave is at your own risk.

I think you really only get one chance at this, its a life time investment. Have the wedding after the exams that way you can enjoy your wedding without having to worry about them.

Congrats by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

I wouldn't see any problem with it.

I mean, look at people in industry who get very little study leave and still manage to pass the exams (i know they're prob not doing aca, but much of a muchness). I work with a girl who went to nz for a month during her study leave for her finals when she was working in practice. You know yourself the work you have to put into it, if you feel comfortable doing it then do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sabrina99

hi, I did my FAEs last year, not in accountancy practice so just got the 7 weeks study leave (that meant I had to take my block release out of the 7 weeks too) so I didnt finish work till the 12th july and still passed the exams, dont know if that much help to you but it proves that you dont need the 12 weeks in order to pass exams, i did go to most of my lectures but didnt do any extra study till i was on study leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

if you look it from the point of view that you are getting more study leave than normal and if you make a point of sitting down and studying one you get back from your honeymoon then why not?

I will have the bare 7 wks this year as sabrina did but am hoping to take block release out of my holidays.

Advertisement