Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yorkie eat rat poison :(

Options
  • 28-03-2008 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

My 11 week old yorkie eat rat poison on Monday and I thought that by tuesday he would have shown signs of it...but he did'nt. However, this morning he was unable to walk/respond/eat etc...so the vet ordered him straight to hospital. The vet in the hospital rang me to say to leave him there for the night. He ran a blood count and its 16%, which is half of what it should be.
    I would like to know has anyone been in this predicament with their dog? If so what is the likely outcome?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I have no experience of this, and even though it's too late now you must be mad not to have taken him to the vet immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

very mad indeed. I was'nt sure it was rat poison until the day after when I was informed that rat poison was put under the sink.
    I won't know what the story is until the morning, but its very frustrating not knowing what could happen. poor fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

My 11 week old yorkie eat rat poison on Monday and I thought that by tuesday he would have shown signs of it...but he did'nt. However, this morning he was unable to walk/respond/eat etc...so the vet ordered him straight to hospital. The vet in the hospital rang me to say to leave him there for the night. He ran a blood count and its 16%, which is half of what it should be.
    I would like to know has anyone been in this predicament with their dog? If so what is the likely outcome?

thanks

My westie died from rat poison, our lovely next door neighbours did it on purpose. We did not know he had eaten it but decided to bring him to the vet as he wasnt eating that night and was listless. Got him to the vet as soon as it opened the next morning but it was too late. He deteriorated really quickly despite the vets best efforts and had to be put down. My only regret is that we did not catch it earlier.

I'm sorry to say it does not look good.

Saw your second post I really hope your little guy pulls through. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

My westie died from rat poison, our lovely next door neighbours did it on purpose. We did not know he had eaten it but decided to bring him to the vet as he wasnt eating that night and was listless. Got him to the vet as soon as it opened the next morning but it was too late. He deteriorated really quickly despite the vets best efforts and had to be put down. My only regret is that we did not catch it earlier.

I'm sorry to say it does not look good.

Saw your second post I really hope your little guy pulls through. :(

what sort of sick individuals would do that? that's extremely mean and cruel. hope your Yorkie fights through it OP.

Steak wrote: »
    what sort of sick individuals would do that? that's extremely mean and cruel. hope your Yorkie fights through it OP.

In the past they have also shot one of our cats with a pellet gun. They have no regard for animals at all.

The westie was annoying them for a while because he had found a way to get into their garden and was using their yard to get out of ours. He would then go out and bark at cars. They would kick him if they saw him and this made him bark at them.

My parents were in America for three weeks and I couldn't fix the hole in the fence properly so tied him up as a temporary measure. He didnt like this at all and was barking a lot.

I thought I was going mad as when I would return from work his bowls would be moved or on a few occasions he would be off his chain.

He was a strange dog, always really suspicious of new foods ans strangers so it probably took them a few tries to get him to eat anything offered.:(

• Advertisement

People are so evil. :mad:

OP, any news on the little fella?

kerrysgold wrote: »
    People are so evil. :mad:

OP, any news on the little fella?

I rang hospital this morning and his blood count has stabilised, but he is still having difficulty breathing. So he'll be kept in over the w.end for further observation. so fingers crossed that he'll be over the worst of it come monday. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

ah the poor thing will keep him in my thoughts hope he gets better

I rang hospital this morning and his blood count has stabilised, but he is still having difficulty breathing. So he'll be kept in over the w.end for further observation. so fingers crossed that he'll be over the worst of it come monday. :(

That looks quite promising. I will have my fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

As the owner of two yorkies and absolute dog lover all I can say is that i sincerely hope he pulls through. It's terrible to hear such a thing.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

Any news four of a kind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

The same thing happened to our jack russel a good few years back. We were so brokenhearted when he died.
    I hope your little fella gets better and keep an eye on your dodgy neighbours. I'd set up a camera pointing into the garden to catch the evil feckers!!

Oh thank goodness. Sounds like he will pull through. I know what it is like because my boxer ate rat poison too, nine days before Christmas 2006. It was Christmas eve before he showed signs of illness and by evening he was literally dying, drowning in his own blood. (lungs haemorrhaging). Phoned the vet, who came to the house, injected him. I kept him in the shed overnight and on Christmas morning I was afraid to open the shed door for fear of what I would find. He was alive!!! Miracle of miracles. So, I am keeping my fingers crossed for your little man. Any developments?

That does sound promising, fingers crossed for the little guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Any word on your poor little yorkie ??

He made it!!!!!!!!!!! Vet rang this morning to say that he had pulled through and was jumping around licking all the staff. He's lost abit of weight due to not eating for a few days but he's back to himself. The vet said that they nearly lost him saturday evening as he had detoriated very badly, but that he was a true terrier and fought his way back somehow. They dont' know how he did it :)

Thanks to ye all for your kind support and comments. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Thats put a big smile on my face!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Good news. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Great to hear the good news ! Brilliant !
    He sure is only lucky little dog !

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Great to hear :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Good news, delighted to hear that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

A lot of rat poison nowadays is based on blood thinning agents ( hence the heammoraging ) aka for example Warfarin in different doses in human medicine. The only chance of a cure I know of is a sound dose of Ketamine ( injected ) or a lucky escape if the dose was small enough to be overcome by the bodies natural regeneration capabilities.

Another poison that's quite common out there is Alphacloralose ( used against avian pests ) but since that stuff can no longer be used with meat bait the chance of cat or dog picking it up is limited. The best method for curing this one is simple heat as it causes hypothermia. Just bring your cat or dog into the house and wrap in a blanket or towels and the body temp should rise again fairly quickly.

Advertisement