Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help in setting up scope

Options
  • 28-03-2008 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi folks is there an easy way to zero a scope on a rifle or a idiot proof way of doing it .I get my elevation right and then i feck of the windage ? am not looking for major distance either. How many clicks sould I adjust after grouping initial shots. Also have really fecked up the scope how do i get it back to a starting point ? sombody suggested dialing back and counting all the clicks and then putting them all in the middle .Anyhow looking for suggestions and am not very technical or mathamatical. Tks Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

If its that bad take the rifle to your local gun shop, they should have a bore sight, Zero the scope on the bore sight, this should get you on an A4 page @ 50 yards, then its just a matter of zeroing maunaly, 1 click is usualy 1/4 inch up down left or right at 100 yards, Put a dot in the centre of a page and fire in groups of 3 until your hitting the dot(or close).
    Other people will have different methods of zeroing but this is fairly straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

if the clicks are 1/4"@ 100, the clicks are 1/8" @ 50. ensure the crosshairs are level on the scope, and use a good solid rest.

Also the reason your groups are "moving" could be paralax effect. If you can set the paralax range on the scope, do so. If you can't ensure you bring up the rifle to the same point each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Put the scope on your weapon making sure the horoziontal cross hairs are horoziontal.Try and get your hands on a rest that you can clamp the rifle into, then remove the bolt and bore sight it manually, once on the center of the target check your scope and adjust as nessessary. This should get you well withen the ballpark. Now fire 3 round groups and adjust your scope from the MPI of the group.
    Perferably this should be done when wind is'nt a factor so you know you are spot on. Then take note of every click you add for wind on any given day and at the of a days shooting take your clicks off again.
    Cheers and best of luck
    Boiled-egg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Hi folks is there an easy way to zero a scope on a rifle or a idiot proof way of doing it .I get my elevation right and then i feck of the windage ? am not looking for major distance either. How many clicks sould I adjust after grouping initial shots. Also have really fecked up the scope how do i get it back to a starting point ? sombody suggested dialing back and counting all the clicks and then putting them all in the middle .Anyhow looking for suggestions and am not very technical or mathamatical. Tks Nick

which calibre of rifle and which model of scope have you got, and is the action a bolt action ?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭scuttlebutt

Its a CZ 452 2E ZKM .22 WMR, scope 4 12X50 make not sure cant work out has a symbols like 3I3 but cant type it as first 3 faces second if you get my drift.

Bolt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

scope 4 12X50 make not sure cant work out has a symbols like 3I3 but cant type it as first 3 faces second if you get my drift.
    That'd be an Edgar Brothers scope.

Bang on was just about to post a pic, how would this scope rate ?

Actually forget that I just saw the prices, but it works

Bang on was just about to post a pic, how would this scope rate ?
    I have an Edgar Brothers Opti-Mate 1" 8-32x44 FCH + Dot (OPTI-34 in the link above) on my informal benchrest .22, a Sako Finnfire Varmint.
    While it's not even in the same league as the NightForce on the .308, it's a pretty decent scope at the 'cheap' end of target scopes.
    Light transmission falls off pretty sharply when you crank the magnification up high, but apart from that, it's a good scope that tracks and holds its zero perfectly.

Getting it to Zero at the moment, had a go this morning but had to stop am about 4 Inches high off centre at 50 yards. What you reckon , how many clicks down ?

Cant upload pic as it wont let me, my dial for elevation says 1 click 0 1/4 100 yards

• Advertisement

Getting it to Zero at the moment, had a go this morning but had to stop am about 4 Inches high off centre at 50 yards. What you reckon , how many clicks down ?
    As your scope has 1/4" (at 100 yards) turrets, 4" high at 50 yards would be 32 'Down' clicks of the turret.
    1/4" at 100 yards = 1/8" at 50 yards, 1/8" goes into 4" 32 times = 32 clicks.
    Have you got that much adjustment left in your scope?
    If you find yourself running out of adjustment before you get your group to zero, don't force things!
    Excepting very expensive ones, switching your scope mounts around (either by rotating them in position or by stitching them front -> rear), will often have the effect of changing the orientation of the scope relative to the bore of the rifle. This may give you enough adjustability to get to zero.
    Alternatively, you can shim the scope up at one end or the other with a sliver of very thin material; photographic film has proven most useful for this purpose in the past. In this particular case, a shim between the scope and the rear mount will have the effect of moving the point of aim downwards towards the point of impact, thus bring the adjustability back.

I know of a couple of methods of centring a scope (bringing the reticle back to the centre of its movement in all directions):
    1. Wind your chosen turret all the way to the end of its travel in one direction, and then count the clicks to the end of its travel in the other direction. Divide by two and dial in that number of clicks. Repeat for the other turret.
    2. Make a double Vee block out of a suitably sized cardboard box, by cutting notches out of opposite sides so that the scope sits in the notches and can be freely rotated through 360 degrees.
    Set the box and scope up on a good solid base so that you can look through it while rotating it. Adjust turrets so that the reticle stays on a single point as you turn the scope through a full rotation.

Once the scope is centred, leave the turrets alone, and experiment with the mounts (and shims if necessary) until you're shooting pretty close to your intended zero, and then adjust the scope for final fine tuning.

Thanks Rovi, need to digest this as its just what i wanted, i would easly have that space left in the turrets as if i remember correctly they dial up to about 350.I will post back later

Well just to say thanks Rovi seem to have got the hang of it much appriciated to all

Advertisement