Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Television - HELP!!

Options
  • 27-03-2008 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Buying a tv. No clue what I should look for. By process of elimination have decided to buy a 22/23" screen LCD (absolute max 26"). Know nothing about them but don't want to buy a piece of rubbish. Have looked on elara.ie and komplett.ie (are these OK websites). Prices seem to vary from €324 + delivery for a Chemei 22" up to €549 + delivery for a Samsung 23". Somewhere in the middle are makes such as LG, Sony and Philips with at least 2 of the 26" coming in at around the €450 mark (Samsng & Philips).

What should I do? There is loads of stuff in the specifications that I don't understand. Warranties seem to be about 1 year on most of them. Do I have to worry about things like brightness and contrast and pixel speed? I have this idea that I'd like to be able to plug my computer into my tv, but I'm not sure why...maybe to play downloaded movies (if I ever work out how to do that)???

Advice badly needed. I've been putting it off for months. Really need to get it done at this stage.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Most have a VGA input at the back to connect a computer.

One of the brands you didn't mention is Toshiba. Their LCD screens have a pretty good reputation - particularly in relation to SDTV, which is where a lot
    of LCD screens fall short.

Samsung are decent generally. Nothing spectacular. Aftersales service is a bit spotty. If you need a callout, expect to have to hound them a bit.

Sony's "Entry Level"(By that i mean Sony consider them Entry Level becasue they don't cost 3k) are a little hit and miss, most are good, but you pay extra because of the Sony badge.

Focus on particular models, not just brands, and look for reviews of those models.

Offerings from Philips at this screen size are usually fairly indifferent.

Avoid LG.

Brightness and Contrast, and Pixel Rate. Manufacturers fudge the numbers a little on the first two. If Pixel Rate is the same thing as Refresh rate... they fudge that too. Mostly motion blur on an LCD screen isn't particularly apparent unless you're watching fast movement quite closely.

Again, focus on reviews of particular models.

Avforums.com is a mine of information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Avforums.com is a mine of information.

It is indeed a mine of information , but watch out for obvious traders hyping up bad products , it happens a lot on that site ,

Remember , almost nobody goes online to Gush about the lovely new set they bought , they usually give a recommendation if you ask , or give a model # and a short " Im happy with it anyway " , but when you see a post with a list of specs and every second line saying how wonderful the product is then its a trader , and they set up fake responses in agreement as well.

Ive seen this for the Onkyo 605 receiver ( good , but nowhere near as good as its hyped ) , the latest Sony LCD's with motionflow ( motionflow is crap full stop ) , etc etc , theres plenty of good info on there , just watch out for this type of BS is all , the site is rampant with it !!

Advertisement