Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fundraising for volunteering aboard

Options
  • 27-03-2008 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭

[edit] excuse any typos like that awful one in the thread title!

Just a topic on the issue of people raising money through fundraising to fund their own travel aboard to volunteer.

I've known of one or two thats done this so that they could afford to go with i to i.

i never really saw the problem with this until i started fundraising myself. i have a goal of reaching 3k to give to the charity i am going to work at this summer for two months.
    Anyway through fundraising i have to say alot of people were very harsh without getting their facts straight first. alot of comments like "why should WE fund YOUR holiday?" and mutters of "voluntourism" ect ect. If it hadnt been for the fact i was able to say none of the money was going towards my way and stay there i'd imagine i wouldnt have raised much at all so far. they always looked a bit suspicious after i said that too.
    now all those ppl who went with i to i regret it. not because of the fact it wasnt a good experience, they all loved it but because they knew they had raised alot of money and none of it really reached their charities.

To be fair though if i wasnt able to afford my ticket abroad and my stay, i'd save until i could because i wouldnt feel right asking for money from ppl to fly myself there and back. I wouldnt go with a profit making company either.

But what about a situation where they have direct links with a charity that ask them for nothing except a helping hand while there but the person fundraises to be able to go out there? would they or wouldnt they be better off sending the money over and not bother going? could the same be said of a person even being able to pay their own way there?

what do ppl think about this? i've seen it mentioned in passing in topics but i wanted to start a general thread on issues this seems to raise for fundraisers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

But what about a situation where they have direct links with a charity that ask them for nothing except a helping hand while there but the person fundraises to be able to go out there? would they or wouldnt they be better off sending the money over and not bother going? could the same be said of a person even being able to pay their own way there?

I think it depends on whether the volunteer has a specific skill that is in short supply in the local region, and can make a difference. There's a world of difference between a plastic surgeon going somewhere for 2 weeks to repair cleft palates, and a 19 year old who 'just wants to help' showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chickers261

hi
    I am a 4th student nurse and will be graduating in November of this year. I would love to volunteer in a 3rd world country but I am a bit concerned. I was wondering has anyone experience volunteering and could suggest a safe and reliable organisation suitable for a first time volunteer.

thank so much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭bill buchanan

hi
    I am a 4th student nurse and will be graduating in November of this year. I would love to volunteer in a 3rd world country but I am a bit concerned. I was wondering has anyone experience volunteering and could suggest a safe and reliable organisation suitable for a first time volunteer.

thank so much :)

You will almost certainly need experience before a reputable agency will send you abroad. Just one or two years after qualifying, then you can start applying to VSO or operation smile etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chickers261

Thank you

I still would love to volunteer this year not as a nurse. And like you said maybe as a nurse when I have gained a few years of experience this year. If you have any suggestions of place and organisations to a 23year old female first time volunteer I would be very gratful. I am only interested in going for a short period as it will be my firt time volunteering I thought this would be best. SORRY if they are a few typos:)

Advertisement