Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not tanning... please suggest something!

Options
  • 27-03-2008 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Every year before I go on holiday I have a couple of sunbed courses and I usually get a great tan. At the moment however, I am living in a different town with only one beauty salon with a sunbed. The sunbed is extremely weak and I am just not tanning. I always exfoliate beforehand and use tanning accelerators, but even the tingle ones aren't helping! I can't go elsewhere to use a better sunbed as there is no other salon for miles and I don't drive and there are no busses. What else can I try to tan faster? And please don't hijack my thread with comments about the adverse effects of sunbeds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭shazpunk

Sunbeds normally block your skin from getting a natural tan from the sun.

If your worried about looking like a milkbottel for the first few days of your holidays, try using a tinted moisturiser, that way it allows your skin to pick up the suns rays, and is better for your skin.

You can also use the good ones as an after sun, so you build up a very nice colour :)

where you off to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Thanks for those tips, but I don't want to use anything fake. Last year I did and was bright orange and shiny for the whole time. I'm going to Scandinavia and don't want to be the only pasty white one in a sea of gorgeous tanned Vikings.

lol I know what you mean...what tan did you use?

The Dove lightly tinted one is the best, its got a browner hue, as aposed to the Orange of Johnson's.

I've never gone orange with Dove :)

I've used several different ones, including dove. I think that the lamps on the sunbed in my local need changing because they are so weak but the owner says they're fine. (even though she doesn't even use the sunbed.) I'm sure it's been ages since they were changed. I wish there was somewhere better nearby i could go to.

Do many people use the sunbed? Maybe if a few of you aproached her about it? Ask her when they were last changed?

stop going untill they are changed anyway, dont waist your money!

• Advertisement

I'm going to Scandinavia and don't want to be the only pasty white one in a sea of gorgeous tanned Vikings.

I take it you have never met an actual Scandinavian then? ;)
    They aren't know for their post winter glow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Most salons (certainly the reputable ones) have either gotten rid of / are getting rid of their sunbeds because they are so bad for you.
    I really can't understand why you don't either fake it well (the Lancome flash bronzer is very good and not at all orange) or put up with being pale. It certainly beats melanoma.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

kizzyr wrote: »
    Most salons (certainly the reputable ones) have either gotten rid of / are getting rid of their sunbeds because they are so bad for you.
    I really can't understand why you don't either fake it well (the Lancome flash bronzer is very good and not at all orange) or put up with being pale. It certainly beats melanoma.[/QUOTE]

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

You won't be orange if you get a professional spray tan in a salon.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

If you don't want to use fake tan and the lady in the salon refuses to change the bulbs and you don't want to drive to get to another salon your only option would be to buy a sunbed and use it at home. My aunt has one and I don't think it was that expensive (around €1500). I think they may even sell them in the argos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

you can get Tan supplements from Holland & Barret might give you a boost

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I take it you have never met an actual Scandinavian then? ;)
    They aren't know for their post winter glow.
    I used to live in Sweden and they are all extremely tanned during the summer.

unreggd wrote: »
    you can get Tan supplements from Holland & Barret might give you a boost

Thanks, but I have read that they can cause crystal-like deposits in the eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

I agree with kizzyr - the Lancome Flash Bronzer is really very good and it has never been streaky or orange on me. If you exfoliate REALLY well and moisturise it works out - is there anyone you can ask with experience to help apply it? It can be a pain with no decent salon and no car - the home option might be your best bet if you dont want to fake it. How about a few friends or neighbours buy one together? Or I think they can be rented too. Good luck!

I'm going on a camping holiday for a couple of weeks, access to showers/ space to moisturise etc will not be readily available. I am not prepared to risk a fake tan flaking off because I can't look after it properly.

I'm going on a camping holiday for a couple of weeks, access to showers/ space to moisturise etc will not be readily available. I am not prepared to risk a fake tan flaking off because I can't look after it properly.

But you're willing to risk your life by using a sunbed?:confused: There are worse things than being pale e.g. skin cancer.

Like I said, I would appreciate it if people would stay on topic. Suggesting fake tan is not answering my question. If anyone can suggest a way to hurry a real base tan along, I would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

well then buy a some tanning bed and put on lashings of baby oil. or buy a car and drive to your nearest town, or get someone else to drive you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

StormWarrior, I suggest you try a more 'tan friendly' forum, supposedly iamtan.com is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭-aboutagirl-

Thanks, but I have read that they can cause crystal-like deposits in the eyes.

Right, makes sense to woryy about crystal-like deposits but not skin cancer :rolleyes:

Right, makes sense to woryy about crystal-like deposits but not skin cancer :rolleyes:

Did you not read her earlier posts? The current and main concern is a flaky and patchy tan, melanoma worry is for another day:(...............must stay on topic must stay on topic must stay on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

Just a quick question which is a bit of the beaten track but thought id ask anyways!here goes,

spent a whole summer in greece and came back with a bitta colour but by no means at all could you call it a tan! now my qeustion is, does that mean that i will never tan but only build a resistence to the sun?(didnt need to wear barely any sun block,rarely get burned without)
    my mate insisted that he would come back with a tan, burnt himself to a sinder and then all of the red skin (which he expected to turn brown) peeled off!!
    would never resort to a sun bed or fake tan and not even that pushed about getting a tan, i was just wondering what the story was with the skin of us pale irish??:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

People, get a grip.

Surely it's up to OP what she does (legally!) with her body?

She's aware of the dangers and it's her decision. You're like a crowd of pushers with your fake tan.

OP, you really have only 2 options - go to another town with a better sunbed or convince the owner of your local salon to get some new bulbs.

chris_oc wrote: »
    Just a quick question which is a bit of the beaten track but thought id ask anyways!here goes,

spent a whole summer in greece and came back with a bitta colour but by no means at all could you call it a tan! now my qeustion is, does that mean that i will never tan but only build a resistence to the sun?(didnt need to wear barely any sun block,rarely get burned without)
    my mate insisted that he would come back with a tan, burnt himself to a sinder and then all of the red skin (which he expected to turn brown) peeled off!!
    would never resort to a sun bed or fake tan and not even that pushed about getting a tan, i was just wondering what the story was with the skin of us pale irish??:rolleyes:

You don't need to burn, tan or anything to get skin cancer. Just because you're not burning doesn't mean you're not doing yourself damage. Just so you know!

Your mate probably overdid it, thinking he'd be a bronze God if he stayed out long enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

Das Kitty wrote: »
    You don't need to burn, tan or anything to get skin cancer. Just because you're not burning doesn't mean you're not doing yourself damage. Just so you know!

Your mate probably overdid it, thinking he'd be a bronze God if he stayed out long enough!

ehh...well see i knew someone would probably misuderstand the question!

right, first of all, thought it was hilarious that my mate wouldnt listen to me, and insisted that even BURN turns into brown!:rolleyes:lol!!
    now you and i both know thats not the case!

also, i carefully mentioned sun block in there somewhere didnt I?!
    wasnt burnt once when i was there apart from where i forgot to put some cream on for a full day!!:p

just read it again, its not saying that i mad for getting a tan, just wondering what the story is with our irish skin is.

Still a bit confused tbh! What story about our skin do you want to know?

This is what I was answering because I didn't understand what you meant by "story":
    now my qeustion is, does that mean that i will never tan but only build a resistence to the sun?(didnt need to wear barely any sun block,rarely get burned without)

BTW, burn can turn to tan, but not if you're burnt enough to peel. It's a fine line.

Advertisement