Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need GPS - completely new to it all!

Options
  • 27-03-2008 1:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    While I'm technically minded, and have GPS in my Blackberry, I'm looking to buy a decent GPS system for the car.
    I only need UK and Ireland maps, I can't see myself ever bringing the car over to Europe.
    With anything I buy, I'd rather spend a little extra money and get a decent one, but in terms of GPS, I have no idea what that would get me. I guess I'd prefer a widescreen one, would that severely limit my choices?
    I don't want anything gimmicks, no mp3 player, no bluetooth, just a good Sat Nav system.

What are my best options?

Steve.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

Do you want the sat-nav unit to speak the road name out? Eg., "turn left onto Macaroni Street in 100 feet" compared to "turn left in 100 feet". The former saves ones from guessing *exactly* which road to turn in unless your mental measure of 100 feet is good.

Widescreen ones don't give more useful information than the normal ones, IMO. Also, go for ones with the Navteq system, judging from many posts on this topic. Then again, some online sites sell the widescreen ones CHEAPER than the normal ones...

I use the Garmin Nuvi 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

WUSBDesign wrote: »
    Do you want the sat-nav unit to spell the road name out? Eg., "turn left onto Macaroni Street in 100 feet" compared to "turn left in 100 feet". The former saves ones from guessing *exactly* which road to turn in unless your mental measure of 100 feet is good.

Widescreen ones don't give more useful information than the normal ones, IMO. Also, go for ones with the Navteq system, judging from many posts on this topic. Then again, some online sites sell the widescreen ones CHEAPER than the normal ones...

I use the Garmin Nuvi 360.

i want to get a sat-nav which will spell road name out - is there any particular spec i should be looking for when ordering online which will tell me that this is provided on particular models.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

The ability is speak out road names is described in various ways, no one specific term. Check out Garmin's web site and do a side-by-side comparison for (say) the models 250 and 360T.

Advertisement