Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanted: Working Setter

• 27-03-2008 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and my brother are looking for a setter trained to a high standard.

Ideally I would like to buy a pup from good stock and train it myself but I don't have the time for it.

Would like to get one from a breeder/trainer who works setters at trials and is selling a dog which is not far off trials standard.

It doesn't really matter to us what breed exactly, English, Irish, lewellen as long as the dog is a good worker with a good nose. Dog or bitch.

I am based in munster but will travel to anywhere in the country.

So if anyone knows any breeders/trainers please let me know. PM me if you want as some people don't like the info made public

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,596 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

i'd give a bit more consideration to the exact type of setter,
    colour might not matter to you, but the size varies alot,
    btw english and lewellwn are the same and you for got old Gordon :D

I currently have a setter, andi have the next breed picked out, its still a setter but a different one,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

as I said I don't care what the dog looks like, colour, shape, size as long as it works to a high standard (you should see the size of our lab he's a monster)

The lewellwn is not the same as the english setter, sure the breed came from the english setter but they are not the exact same.

My brother has a contact and we're going to see one working on Thursday evening if possible.

If anyone knows anything please reply or pm me

Vegeta wrote: »
    The lewellwn is not the same as the english setter, sure the breed came from the english setter but they are not the exact same.
    Well yeah, strictly speaking,
    Lewellwn is a strain of english, so lewellens are english, but not all english are lewellwn,
    wasn't serious and only ponting out that you left out poor Gordon.

Size might not bother you know, but i've found size important over different terrains. The difference between an english and a gordon can be alot. If the cover is very rough the big dogs can struggle, they work best in the open.

Above all its personal choice, if it really doesn't matter then forget about it. I'm getting a new setter soon, and after the last one i'm doing alot of research.

Yeah the dog will be used for a wide array of game, pheasant, woodcock, snipe and grouse (wouldn't shoot one though due to numbers but that's a different arguement)

We mainly hunt open type terrain but the dog must be at least somewhat capable in cover (not expecting springer type ditch busting mind)

You're dead right though I had not thought of a Gordon. Mainly because I didn't think they were popular here

Are you going to train your own dog Mellor or buy a finished dog?

I think i'm going to train my own, raise from a pup, get him playing with scents from a young age.

I've heard Britneys are popular in the US, they are a type of setter, well or sorts. But as i'm not familar with them here, i'm leaning towards an english or irish red and white (the original irish ;))

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I think i'm going to train my own, raise from a pup, get him playing with scents from a young age.

I've heard Britneys are popular in the US, they are a type of setter, well or sorts. But as i'm not familar with them here, i'm leaning towards an english or irish red and white (the original irish ;))

had an Irish red and white when I was growing up, great great dog, don't know if it was the breed or the dog though

I will say be very very careful when correcting a setter as they do not take well to negative re-enforcement at all. positive positive positive

i'll let ya know how i get on anyway

Please do,
    maybe update with choice of setter.
    I'll be a while as I still have a dog, but he is in bad shape, can't fit in two, so have to wait for his time to come.

Advertisement