Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy injury??

Options
  • 27-03-2008 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭

Bailey my none month old Beagle pup started limping and carrying her back paw while out walking yesterday. She was running with my other pup Ellie at the time and just stopped and started walking very tenderly, even carrying the bad paw off the ground for a while. I checked the paw and there was nothing stuck in it so i guess it could be a slight muscle pull. Anyway i carried her home and wont be walking her today. Has nayon experienced this before, should i take her to the vet or let her rest for a day or so to see if it gets better first?

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Killme00 wrote: »
    Bailey my none month old Beagle pup started limping and carrying her back paw while out walking yesterday. She was running with my other pup Ellie at the time and just stopped and started walking very tenderly, even carrying the bad paw off the ground for a while. I checked the paw and there was nothing stuck in it so i guess it could be a slight muscle pull. Anyway i carried her home and wont be walking her today. Has nayon experienced this before, should i take her to the vet or let her rest for a day or so to see if it gets better first?

:)
    it g could be paw inflamation due to first time walking dog on hard ground.As their paws are soft if the dog usually on grass most of the time.My dogs had the same problem as they was not on concrete(for walking first time).The paws will eventually get used to to it.If problem still occurs in a couple of days take your dog to the vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

davey180 wrote: »
    it g could be paw inflamation due to first time walking dog on hard ground.As their paws are soft if the dog usually on grass most of the time.My dogs had the same problem as they was not on concrete(for walking first time).The paws will eventually get used to to it.If problem still occurs in a couple of days take your dog to the vet.

Ive been walking and running with her for months on all sorts of grounds. Beach, Grass and concrete. I think it may just have been something like cramp but ill check on her again today and see how she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

Check her paw for a small stone or piece of glass stuck in or between the pads on her foot, if nothing is found its probably a pulled muscle go to the vets for a proper inspection. If thats the case they will probably prescribe anti inflammatory tablets.
    But the Vets is the best bet cos they r the experts!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

As the others said could of strained it if it doesn't improve within the 24 hours of the injury the vet can have a look. Remeber when my smaller dog was only getting used to the outdoors and she stepped on a thistle in the garden the yelps of her such a drama queen..still is lol.

My other dog was limping the other week she had caught her nail on something salt water bathing (she hated it) and keeping her from unning about (hated that even more being a collie esp) for a few days and it was fine. If no blood and she can bend it even if it hurts prob a strain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Could be just that she got a stone stuck in her paw, is there any cuts or redness? Happened/happens to my dogs quite a bit. There tends to be a lot of broken beer bottles in our local park and the dogs often get small cuts.

One of my dogs tore an artery last tuesday though and had to have an emergency op. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement