Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL In South Korea

Options
  • 27-03-2008 2:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey
    Im not sure if this is the right section to post this thread. Im just wondering if anyone has experience teaching English in South Korea? How did you find it? Did you head over on your own? If so, was it hard to settle? All recommendations welcome! Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Teaching & Lecturing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 KevinDublin

I've never actually taught over there but know alot of people who did... for the most part they've great things to say about it but just be very very careful with the contract they send you. Read it carefully and under no circumstances hand your passport over to anyone *for security".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I spent two years working there recently. All in all it was a great experience and was hard to come back to be honest. I had arranged my first job before going there which in hindsight was a big mistake due to numerous factors. The problem is that in Korea once you sign a contract its really difficult to get out of it and just get another job. Don't be put off though, most of the schools are fine to work for and the second job I got was fantastic.
    My advice is to travel to Korea yourself, taking all the documentation you'll need with you and then jobhunt once you arrive. You get a 90day tourist visa automatically when you fly in and then once you find a good job and sign a contract you just do a 2 day visa trip to japan which your new school will pay for.
    The best jobs are public school positions or what are known as after-schools programs. Typically you'll work 12-5 and recieve same benefits as full time jobs you'll see advertised through agencies here.
    Flying there first also means you can suss out the area you'd like to live in and staff you'll be working with etc before commiting yourself.
    Anyway, good luck. pm if you need more info

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

I'm teaching in south korea at the minute. I've been here for just over 2 months. So far I'm having a great experience.

I'm teaching in a hagwon which I'm having no problems with(i know a lot of people do) though you get better holidays in public schools.The kids are a lot rowdier than i imagined - people told me they'd be very respectful and quiet!!

I came over with my boyfriend but i know a lot of people who are here alone. Theres a huge international community around so its easy to meet other teachers and the koreans are extremely friendly.

Would definitely recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

oops just noticed this thread is a few months old!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 LMulhaire

I was considering heading over in March, I'm having a terrible time trying to find work in an Irish school! Has anyone heard any feedback on the EPIK program?

Advertisement