Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Accounting

Options
  • 26-03-2008 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering what Leaving Cert Accounting is like?

I'm in fourth year atm and am wondering, if started working next year, would I be able to attain a high grade in the subject, teaching myself.

What's the course content like? Is there much learning or is it a more practical subject.

I got an A in JC Business and found the bookkeeping, ratios, final a/c's, etc., ridiculously easy.

I have no specific interest in business or accounting, I was just told by my business teacher that it has a very high A rate and is not extremely heavy in the theoretical side. He also said that a good grade in JC Business and maths is very useful in the subject (I got an A in both).

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

No it is not heavy on the theoretical side, which is handy. And while it is similar to JC bookkeeping, it is a great deal more complicated. It is a very difficult subject to begin with, but by mid sixth year, you eventually get the hang of it, and it becomes very easy.

I.e, it takes a while to really understand it, at first its a bit difficult. But it does have a high percentage of A's, so I'd recommend doing it. Compare it with something like Classical Studies, a stark contrast in possibility of getting an A!
    I hope to get an A this June!
    Go for it, you'll enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

I did Accounting in 5th year - I chose it because I found the accounting parts of the JC Business course easy enough, and yeah, apparently it has quite a high percentage of A's..

But I just found it absolutely impossible to study, or to bother myself with trying to learn any of it because I had so little actual interest in accounting itself - I found it so boring and was consequently doing horribly, so I ended up dropping it. So, just be careful if you're going to do it for an easy A ... for me, anyway, I find it incredibly hard to study something I'm not even vaguely interested in.

Anyway, I don't think that being great at maths is a necessity, you can use your calculator, all you'll be doing are simple sums, mostly! Good luck, anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 TheRightfulHeir

Ah no it's not too bad at all. I mean, for somebody who got 11 A's in the junior cert I'm sure you'd find it fine. I'm not too spectacular at Maths but I'm finding it okay. As long as you put in the work you'll do grand.

Also, I went to Portmarnock for years 1-5 and went to the Institute for 6th, doing my LC in a week or so. Well anyway, I'm soooo anxious to know who you are to be honest. Haha! Do you know anything about 'The Goon Squad' ? Hahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

It's a class subject and you'd probably be able to teach yourself tbh, it's simple once you get the hang of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

this is really interesting
    this subject is like you either get or you don't ..
    my class is totally divided up , with a few people., very accounting minded, and gets As all the time, and they are people like me who gets As without knowing what are we actually doing..and with people who just don't get the subject at all..
    i mean i like business but i don't like accounting at all..its so boring -.-it's like half the time i don't know what are we actually doing the a/cs for.. but point wise it is easy..you got A in maths n business then accounting shoudnlt be a problem i dun think:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Just finished 5th yr and accounting was one of my best subjects. You'll be grand though, like, even if you get a couple of grinds to get you started you'll pick it up quick enough.

Its mostly just learning off methods and then just applying your own common sense really. The good thing aswell for you would be that certain area's of the course are guaranteed to come up every year. (i.e Company Accounts, Ratios etc) So that would cut out some of the topics you'd need to cover and allow you to perfect the guaranteed questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,827 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

For 5th year and Leaving Cert, I did absoloutely nowt in accounting, couldn't understand so I hated it but had to take grinds. Came out with a D3.
    I'm repearting and started a new slate. Just got stuck into it and learned it and came out with a B3 in the mocks, it made a big difference in points and was my second best subject. I'm aiming for a B1 in June!
    Seriously, it is a do-able(?) subject!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

What are everybody's predictions for this years exam???:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement