Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Modem?

Options
  • 26-03-2008 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

I noticed in Argos that they have different Wireless systems depending on whether you're using Cable BB or telephone BB.

I need a wireless system for DigiWeb.. which type of wireless system do i need ?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

pa990 wrote: »
    I noticed in Argos that they have different Wireless systems depending on whether you're using Cable BB or telephone BB.

I need a wireless system for DigiWeb.. which type of wireless system do i need ?

What kind of connection do you have from Digiweb? DSL or wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

its for a friend..

He has a wireless system from DigiWeb

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

its for a friend..

He has a wireless system from DigiWeb

Then you want something that's usually described as just being a broadband router with no integrated modem. The wireless modem he has should have a network port on it already. The WAN port from the router connects to that, and the other PC's connect to the router by the LAN ports or wirelessly.

would i be right in thinking one of these would do

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?quicklinx=2CM7

by the way.. its for a Mac, is there much setting up to do.. or is it straight forward enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

The combo routers with integrated modems are only for DSL (telephone BB). For everything else (including Digiweb Metro), you'll need a cable BB router.

Yes, a WRT54G is a good choice.

• Advertisement

would i be right in thinking one of these would do

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?quicklinx=2CM7

Yes, and they're highly recommended, though I'd suggest the WRT54GL version with Linux as the firmware rather than VXWorks, though that's only if playing about with the firmware is of interest/value to you.

by the way.. its for a Mac, is there much setting up to do.. or is it straight forward enough

They use a web based front end to configure so a Mac is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

+1 for the WRT54GL http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3YRT
    €9 more but you can add a lot of extra features to this Linux based model with 3rd party firmwares. I'm running Sveasoft Alchemy on an old v1.1 WRT54G.

WRT54G on Wikipedia

Its for an older friend who isnt very computer savy

I reckon that i'll order the WRT54G for him

Thanks for all your help guys

Advertisement