Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fillings needed

Options
  • 26-03-2008 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

I've just been to the dentist today after a long time. I've been told I need 6 fillings and maybe a root canal if one of them is very bad.
    I'm terrified of getting them done. The reason I didnt go to get a check up before was because I was scared of this exact situation. I know it's my own fault and I really want to get it sorted out quickly.
    But I'm petrified of getting so many done. It's the anesthetic (sp) that scares me most. Is there any way I can get them all done at once using the gas or will I need to make multiple appointments?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I put off going to the dentist for a long time due to fear but had to go recently because of a problem with a tooth. I had 5 fillings to get done but they managed to do them in 2 appointments-2 on the left the first time and 3 on the right the second time. It depends where yours are as to how many vists it'll take but they get paid by the filling so it's in their best interest to do as many as they can in each visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dub6Kevin

I was completely phobic about the dentist and didn't go for years while routinely neglecting them.

I met (and ended up marrying - honestly) a dentist who talked me into letting her loose on me. Haven't looked back (and I needed a LOT of work!).

My tips are, find a dentist who you can get on with and can tell how you're feeling. Make sure it's someone who will explain the options and then allow you to make decisions.

I also found that for me, the sound of the instruments was very distressing so I take my ipod in and turning the volume up full blast to drown out the noise. I find that makes a massive difference.

They can use a gel to numb the area of gum into which the anaesthetic is injected so you feel nothing when they give you the jab.

Good luck with it and if you need a good sympathetic dentist let me know, I can recommend one!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

cacio wrote: »
    I've just been to the dentist today after a long time. I've been told I need 6 fillings and maybe a root canal if one of them is very bad.
    I'm terrified of getting them done. The reason I didnt go to get a check up before was because I was scared of this exact situation. I know it's my own fault and I really want to get it sorted out quickly.
    But I'm petrified of getting so many done. It's the anesthetic (sp) that scares me most. Is there any way I can get them all done at once using the gas or will I need to make multiple appointments?

Thanks for any help

Ohh man your in trouble, i'm loaded to the eyeballs on painkillers as we speak, got a slight pain in my tooth 2 weeks ago.....it flared up badly on paddys day after a hot whiskey.....i've been in bad pain since....close to crying on occasions...

You will definatly not be able to get them all done together....get the dentist to sort the one requiring the root canal this is the one which will cause you the most pain....if it's a root canal you probably will need antibotics because theres an infection there....table in 2 weeks for sorting that tooth alone before the dentist will even start on the others..

Get it done straight away....tomorrow...even if you just have the slightest pain or sensitivy...

I've been knocked down by a car, crashed 5 cars, fell off walls, kicked in the balls by a pony and nothing has came near the pain i've went through.....painkillers won't even touch it....

Get it sorted asap.....you poor chap...:(

p.s it was €450 to get the root canal alone and the dentist hasn't even went near the others yet.....rip off ireland is alive and well...

If you don't get it sorted now and that root canal get's too bad your looking at getting the tooth removed and will be looking at around €4000 to get an implant...

Call the dentist now and get it sorted tomorrow...

Advertisement