Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV purchased in the North

Options
  • 26-03-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Do you know if a TV purchased in Northern Ireland will work here? I am thinking of buying a TV from Dixons in the North because it's a good bit cheaper than here, so I'm wondering if anyone has done this.

The TV has built-in Freeview (which I presume won't work).

With Dixons here they normally ask for a name and address for the guarantee, so I'm wondering if they will refuse to sell it to someone with an address in the south?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The main difference between NI and here, is that some TV's for UK market may not come equipped with a VHF tuner. So, you'll need to know if you use VHF signals, and if you do, you'll need to ensure that the TV you buy has one.

Some manufactures just use the one tuner unit across Europe, which adapts via the menu on initial switch-on where it asks you select the country you live in. However, this rule does not apply to them all, Panasonic for example.

If you don't use VHF, or just use digital services like UPC Digital or Sky, then the TV's analogue tuner will be irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

OP just wondering if you ended up getting that TV up north, was thinking of doing the same myself in Dixons to save a good few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

Lads check this this place out - they deliver down south too, save you the hassle of driving up if you already know what model you want.

http://www.samsyerman.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

Yeah I had a look at that place only they didn't have the stand and the surround sound system I was looking for.

Its just crazy the difference with dixons.co.uk and the shops down here like for the Samsung S6 40" with serano cabinet stand and Sam HTZ310R works out online @ E1650 (with the bigtv discount code) and the Tv alone in Dix' or Curry's shop is E1550.

Would there be any hassle with warranty's if I bought up there and took it down or any grief at customs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I buy most of my stuff in the north and not only does the freeview channels work where i live, i have never had a problem with guarentees.

• Advertisement
Advertisement