Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

castle durrow weddings

Options
  • 26-03-2008 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

well, Im living in scotland and just got engaged so planning for 2010 backhome. Theres nowhere in Offaly that I really like but so I need somewhere within driving distance from the church. Anyway, seen castle durrows website and like the look of it and the staff seem really nice but just wondering does anyone have any experience of it?
    Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Congrats first of all scoby!

Haven't had a wedding experience of CD but have stayed there twice and think it's fab. The staff can't do enough for you and the rooms and food are both lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Was at a wedding there last week and it's top class.

Congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 scoby1

deadly... going to see it now next week when Im home! Really wanted NYE but they dont open which is a pity but will see how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

you should check out Killashe House in Naas also. I'm getting married in Laois & travelling there for my receiption. Its a beautiful place & not too expensive

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Only ever went for dinner in Castle Durrow. It was out of this world.

I hear great reports about the weddings.

• Advertisement

Ah Im delighted to hear that now, kind of had my heart set on it which was a stupid thing to do before even seeing it!
    Jessconr I have been to a few weddings there and it is lovely but most of my relatives got married there so I just wanted a change! If I could have any I wouldv been going for Cabra castle in Cavan but it is def too far a drive from Rhode church!!
    Thanks for all the congrats btw! So much happening at the moment, think this site may become invaluable... we are hopefully starting looking for planning permission soon too so you'll see plenty of my knocking around on here!!!

Durrow castle is very popular. I hear a weekend has a very long waiting list. But sure you'll be ringing them soon. they'll tell ya a lot more than the internet.

[QUOTE= we are hopefully starting looking for planning permission soon too so you'll see plenty of my knocking around on here!!![/QUOTE]

I work in an architectural practice if you need any advise on your planning permission. best of luck with it

God jessconr, thats deadly! Havent started anything yet and hopefully wont need you (now that is wishful thinking) cos hopefully we wont run into any problems......
    When are you getting married?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

congrats on your wedding. :D

• Advertisement

getting married on 11th of June. Just back from my stag last weekend in Edinburgh. When you getting married yourself?

I mean what i said earlier about the planning. If you have any questions just post me a private message & i'll be glad to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

howya jessconr, you say your just back from edinburgh from the stag, im goin on a stag there meself next month, any good pubs or clubs to go to over there or what is the nightlife like.. i hear its good

He ports best, Im in Aberdeen but often fly down to Edinburgh every so often, dont think you can go too wrong in Edinburgh with the clubs!! Its good criac and Scots love the Irish so you'll def have a great time!
    Jess thanks a million. Were going home next week and going to hopefully get something started then. I think the land might be sterilised but not too sure so thats the only problem I can foresee. Wedding will be 2010, need time to get everything sorted for moving back home etc!
    Thanks Ruby... Im like a child now, can wait to get started on it! Trying to do it in style but not costing the same as a new beemer is the tough part!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

thanks scoby.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Castledurrow is great. Peter and Shelly are two superb people. Here is an interview they did with RTE... http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0526/nationwide_av.html?2144048,null,200

The job they did with the place is amazing and has transformed the town. Well done to all involved.

ports best wrote: »
    howya jessconr, you say your just back from edinburgh from the stag, im goin on a stag there meself next month, any good pubs or clubs to go to over there or what is the nightlife like.. i hear its good

Yeah Edinburgh is a must. Had the best crack of my life. If you head to an area called the grass market you'll find everything you need there i.e pubs & clubs. As scoby says the scots love the Irish so anywhere you go really you'll be well looked after.

Scoby....you say the land might be sterilized. The best option you have is to set up a pre-planning meeting with one of the planners to see what your options are. If your originally from the area & you plan to work in the area you will come under the criteria of "local need" which would be one of the councils policies that would benifit your chances of getting planning permission greatly

Danno wrote: »
    Castledurrow is great. Peter and Shelly are two superb people. Here is an interview they did with RTE... http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0526/nationwide_av.html?2144048,null,200

The job they did with the place is amazing and has transformed the town. Well done to all involved.

Very good video. It's amazing the work they have done to the place. It was a very good restoration that they have done. the first time i walked into the place after the restoration i was blown away. The place has got class. It's out of this world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dumptruck123

it was reported in the Post dated the 8th Feb 09, that castle durrow has gone into liquidation. Were planning on getting married there this year.

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=39377-qqqx=1.asp

Looks like the owners restaurant in Dublin is in Liquidation, not Durrow castle. Heading for dinner in Durrow castle on Friday. I'll let you know if it is closed. :P

Advertisement