Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK I Need Some Kind of Hand Moisturiser or Cream...

Options
  • 26-03-2008 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I used to laugh at the notion of guys using any kind of moisturiser's, creams etc, basically anything that could be construed as make-up but I think I now actually need something. At the base of my index finger on my right hand the skin is quite hard and is prone to cracking recently, which leaves slight stinging 'cuts' if you will. It's a problem my mother has and now it seems me.

So can anyone recommend some kind of cream or moisturiser to soften the skin on this finger, and I guess hands in general and stop the skin cracking, bearing in mind that I'm a dude and probably need something different from the ladies.

Thanking you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rourke

Same thing happens me and I'm a gal! It's the harsh windy weather recently that's doing the damage. I also have a child with eczema, so I know my potions! Buy some vaseline intensive care hand cream or vaseline intensive care moisturising cream. Go for something with no scent in it, especially if your skin is cracking. If it's really bad go for a big pot of emulsifying (sp??) ointment. Basically, ointment is stronger than cream and cream is stronger than lotion. Apply as often as you can during the day and put loads on at night before going to bed.

You could also just walk into a chemist shop and talk to their pharmacist, who may give you a cream with a small amount of steroid, if you need it.

hope this helps.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Have you tried Neutrogena Norweigan Formula? It's really thick.

I agree with the previous poster though, you may need some cortazone for the cracked bits. I don't know if you can get 1% Cortazone cream over the counter in Ireland. The pharmacist should be able to help you out.

Every so often my hands and feet get very dry and what I'll do is lash on the Vaseline petroleum jelly just before bed and put on a pair of socks and a pair of old gloves. My extremities will be much softer in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rourke

You can get 1% steroid cream over the counter, but you should talk to the pharmacist first and show them the dry skin to establish if you really need the steroid, as it can have a thinning effect on skin with over use. Also if you do use a steroid, use it very sparingly and wash it off the skin you don't need it on, for instance your finger tips after rubbing it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks for the help guys, guess I'll be paying a visit to the pharmacy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

E45 is probably worth a go too and not too girlie;)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies guys. I went on my lunch break. She had a look at the finger in question and gave me Eucerin. Is this any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

never heard of it tbh, i use e45 mouisturising cream.

Eucerin is good...iirc it just an irish made version of E45.
    I would gone with the Neutrogena though...it is heavy duty.

OK I'll give Neutrogena or E45 a go when the current stuff runs out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Eucerin is good. Himself uses it on his itchy hands.

Neutrogena is a good one to use as a barrier once the cracking is healed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

id second neutrogena, dont get atrixo, i find it makes my hands even dryer. olay total effects isnt too bad, got a spf in it as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Lainabaina

if that doesn't work out there's a great one I got in Canada (but I've seen it here, thank god!), cant for the life of me remember the name but their packaging is white and bright green and has a daisy on. Fairly distinctive!

Don't generally like hand creams as I find them greasy but this one's great.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'd also recommend The Body Shop's hemp hand cream. Done miracles for my (very) dry hands and himself doesn't object to using it either as it's not really a smelly cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

yea another vote for the hemp hand cream from the body shop. its amazing stuff! honestly, i have tried every hand cream you can imagine and this is the best for me anyway. worth trying alright.

ps yes it looks and smells fairly manly!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Neutrogena is the best type of hand cream you can get. Or get cortozone cream like others suggested -it's more for dermatitis though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Elave.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

+1 on the Elave. It's perfume-free, soap-free etc and really easy on the skin.

Another great one for hands is Lotil. Its kinda thick and when you rub it into your hands, they look kinda white so you've to spend a little time really massaging into the skin.

Your skin tends to dry out when it's been in contact with water, like after washing dishes, or washing your hands, so its a good idea to put any of these creams on immediately after drying your hands. Both Lotil and Elave come in small handy tubes that you can keep with you in your pocket etc.

At night, slather your hands with whatever cream you decide to use, and cover them with a pair of plain cotton gloves, which you can get in a pharmacy. You might feel funny sleeping with gloves on but it really helps the skin absorb as much moisture as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

vasaline intensive hand rescue i think i think its called its in a blue and white canister with a pump. think its brilliant. the cream you got from the pharmacy is prtty good too my bro uses it for his ezcema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Cupcakes

L'occitane Shea Butter hand cream is the best I've found. Its thick and rich not greasy & absorbs easily & keeps my hands from cracking in the Winter. Never want to be without it.

Advertisement