Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long would this take?

Options
  • 26-03-2008 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Anyone any idea how long it would take to get from Ringsend (near shelbourne park) to monkstown farm at 8am ? Any idea would the traffic be bad ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

irishguy wrote: »
    Anyone any idea how long it would take to get from Ringsend (near shelbourne park) to monkstown farm at 8am ? Any idea would the traffic be bad ?

About 40 minutes I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

KC61 wrote: »
    About 40 minutes I would guess.

That seems a bit long, but I would be going against traffic i was thinking 20mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

You're going against the traffic, but you've to cross some major inbound routes, and the traffic lights will slow you down. you're looking at least 30 mins to 40mins, based on my experiences in 2004 going from Grand Canal dock area to near Monkstown Farm, is the 46A an option?

Bogger77 wrote: »
    You're going against the traffic, but you've to cross some major inbound routes, and the traffic lights will slow you down. you're looking at least 30 mins to 40mins, based on my experiences in 2004 going from Grand Canal dock area to near Monkstown Farm, is the 46A an option?

You could take the DART from Grand Canal Dock to Dun Laoghaire (17 mins) and either the 46A or 746 bus from Dun Laoghaire to Monkstown Farm (10 mins appx.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

KC61 wrote: »
    You could take the DART from Grand Canal Dock to Dun Laoghaire (17 mins) and either the 46A or 746 bus from Dun Laoghaire to Monkstown Farm (10 mins appx.).

It didn't suit at the time, travelling by car suited better, as i wasn't starting the trip in that area.
    Dart times can be a bit strange at that time of the morning, from town to southside, as the commuter trains etc produce gaps in services.

Moved companies after 2 months, the trip in the morning/evenings was head wrecking. It is easier to commute from Maynooth to Dun Laoghaire than from Dub 7, if you have to use public transport. Luas to Connolly/Abbey was a nitemare, if you can get on it. useta have to walk from Museum to hueston to stand a chance of getting on, and then find I'd arrived in connolly/tara street in the middle of the DART gap. Timewise and money wise, travelling by car, and paying for parking in DL (€5/day) worked out cheaper than 2 people travelling by public transport. That shouldn't be the case for an intra city commute.

[OT]
    Switched to east point, and again, the DART gaps in the evening meant it was faster and less hassle to drive from Arbor Hill to Eastpoint than Luas/dart/feeder bus with the delays that occur. Leaving work after 7pm, it could take up to 1hr 20mins to get from Clontarf road DART Station to Museum luas stop.

Moved to Cork, so I don't have the conflict over public vs private transport commute as public transport doesn't exist/work in Cork
    [/OT]

• Advertisement

Bogger77 wrote: »
    It didn't suit at the time, travelling by car suited better, as i wasn't starting the trip in that area.
    Dart times can be a bit strange at that time of the morning, from town to southside, as the commuter trains etc produce gaps in services.

Moved companies after 2 months, the trip in the morning/evenings was head wrecking. It is easier to commute from Maynooth to Dun Laoghaire than from Dub 7, if you have to use public transport. Luas to Connolly/Abbey was a nitemare, if you can get on it. useta have to walk from Museum to hueston to stand a chance of getting on, and then find I'd arrived in connolly/tara street in the middle of the DART gap. Timewise and money wise, travelling by car, and paying for parking in DL (€5/day) worked out cheaper than 2 people travelling by public transport. That shouldn't be the case for an intra city commute.

[OT]

Switched to east point, and again, the DART gaps in the evening meant it was faster and less hassle to drive from Arbor Hill to Eastpoint than Luas/dart/feeder bus with the delays that occur. Leaving work after 7pm, it could take up to 1hr 20mins to get from Clontarf road DART Station to Museum luas stop.

Moved to Cork, so I don't have the conflict over public vs private transport commute as public transport doesn't exist/work in Cork
    [/OT]

For a start I would have used any bus along the quays rather than the LUAS - it is always faster, there's more of them and you've a better chance of getting on one!

As for Cork, too true!!!

Advertisement