Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice - my hair is a mess

Options
  • 26-03-2008 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

I've got long hair - greasy roots and dry ends - which i wash every second day.

I need my hair in a ponytail for work, which i don't like. To get a perfect ponytail - all smooth and tight- in the mornings i would have to stand in front of a mirror for 20s mins or so. I don't have the time for this in the mornings. If i tie it back loose it looks messy. So I'm considering cutting my hair to a short bob maybe to above my shoulders so i wouldn't have to tie it back but I don't know if i should.

I don't know what to do any advice. When i was a teenager i had my hair short with layers and layers didn't suit me at all.

Whats easier to manage: long hair or short hair.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭shazpunk

I'd say go see a hair stylist. Short bobs can look amazing on some girls but cheep and trashy on others.

what colour is your hair? is it naturally straight or curley?

If its very thick you could try thinning in a good bit and that might make styling easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

My hair is brown. No dye. Its straight.

My hair is very thick. So instead of cutting my hair i could get the hairdresser to thin it. Hopes that works. I really do like my hair long but styling it is a nightmare in the mornings as i have no time and i don't want to get up earlier as i get up early enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭shazpunk

I get my hair thinned out once a month, its a nightmare to handel cos its got a natural kink in it, but if your's is straight it should be ok.

That way you can keep the lenght, just with alot less hassel.

talk to them about different products you could use too to prevent your hair going greasy so quickly too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭missingyou

Embrace your thickness! Honestly my hair is so thick and so is my mums, its natural to you. What you should do is get the right products for your hair this is incredibly important and could solve all your problems in a second! Make sure you also have strong and good quality hair bobbles and clips which uit your hair! Get products to make your hair manageable so u can tie it back much quicker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jennybyrne

I came across a website for wigs,,they have a wig shop in wicklow street dublin called hairspray.there website is..http://www.wig.ie/ there are a few good lace front wigs there,,they also have the human hair wigs and the synthetic.I had alopecia so ponytails dont cover my bald patches
    darling.x wrote: »

I need my hair in a ponytail for work, which i don't like. To get a perfect ponytail - all smooth and tight- in the mornings i would have to stand in front of a mirror for 20s mins or so. I don't have the time for this in the mornings. If i tie it back loose it looks messy. So I'm considering cutting my hair to a short bob maybe to above my shoulders so i wouldn't have to tie it back but I don't know if i should.

I don't know what to do any advice. When i was a teenager i had my hair short with layers and layers didn't suit me at all.

Whats easier to manage: long hair or short hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭wattsusieq

jennybyrne wrote: »
    I came across a website for wigs,,they have a wig shop in wicklow street dublin called hairspray.there website is..http://www.wig.ie/ there are a few good lace front wigs there,,they also have the human hair wigs and the synthetic.I had alopecia so ponytails dont cover my bald patches

Id get it cut to the bob. But thats only because Im sick of my hair at the moment and want a change lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Daveyinthenavy

I agree with Shazpunk - go and talk to a good stylist, they can advise on a change of style\colour plus some useful products (if needed)....it might cost a few quid but if the stylist is good then it will be worth it ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

darling.x wrote: »

I need my hair in a ponytail for work, which i don't like. To get a perfect ponytail - all smooth and tight- in the mornings i would have to stand in front of a mirror for 20s mins or so. I don't have the time for this in the mornings. If i tie it back loose it looks messy.

Ok, I also have long hair, light browny/blonde, same problem, greasy roots and dry ends. I like keeping my hair long as having it short really was too much hassle with the straightening/styling etc.

I cracked the problem with my shampoo/conditioner combination. Firstly, I tried to use a shampoo that really cleaned my hair at the scalp and after much searching, I found that Head and Sholders Menthol (green minty one) is the best for getting it super clean. Leave it in for a few mins and scrub your scalp, or wash twice.

Then I was left with lovely clean scalp and non greasy hair, but super dry ends. So back to the shop for a few more tries, and I eventually found my perfect conditioner.

"L'Oréal Nutri-Gloss Conditioner", the one in the pink bottle, that has the tagline "mirror shine cashmere touch". Now I have really thick hair, both in girth of the strands and quantity, and this conditioner is the bees knees. I have tried the kerasteses and the salon lines and this kicks ass for sheer manageability. It leaves your hair silky and shiny and davina-mc-call-y. Not a knot in sight, and your hair looks fab in a ponytail, all swishy and shiny and clean looking.

Just one tip, when they say apply from mid length to ends, they really mean it. You put this anywhere above the jawline and you will have a greasy mop. But the combination work perfectly for me. Perhaps try it before chopping your locks.

Last tip, use a decent hairdryer on a high heat to dry your hair, and then use the cold setting at the end for a few mins to seal the hair. Makes it even easier to manage. You could try this one!

Advertisement