Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning an AVI file to DVD

Options
  • 26-03-2008 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Firstly, my apologies if this is in the wrong forum. If it is, please feel free to move it to wherever it should be.

Basically, I have an AVI file which I can view only in the DivX player. I've never burned a DVD before (mainly because I only have a computer that can burn DVDs for two weeks now) and have decided that I want to give it a shot.

So, basically, I'd like to burn this file to a DVD to watch on my DVD player at my TV. However, my DVD player doesn't support DivX (or XviD). Am I going to waste my time and money by going out and buying DVD-Rs to burn something that won't work on my DVD player, or when I burn it will it be converted to another format that will work on my DVD player? Not sure if this is of any help, but I don't have any burning software except for Windows DVD Maker which comes with Vista.

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but I know very little about burning DVDs.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Your AVI file will become .VOB files once trans-coded to DVD.

There are many programs available to do it.

Nero or ConverterX to DVD.

Make sure your burner supports whatever format of blank Disc's you buy -R
    0r +R.

If the machine is very new it probably supports both.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Pegasus15

Your AVI file will become .VOB files once trans-coded to DVD.

There are many programs available to do it.

Nero or ConverterX to DVD.

Make sure your burner supports whatever format of blank Disc's you buy -R
    0r +R.

If the machine is very new it probably supports both.

-

Thank you :D

Sorry for the double post, but do all DVD players support DVD-R and DVD+R, or do I have to check that out, too? Can't seem to find it, I have a Hyundai DVD-320A.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Pegasus15 wrote: »
    Sorry for the double post, but do all DVD players support DVD-R and DVD+R, or do I have to check that out, too? Can't seem to find it, I have a Hyundai DVD-320A.

If you are referring to your home DVD player? chances are it supports both, unless it's ancient :D

As to your PC DVD recorder? just make sure it's capable of burning whichever format blank disc's you buy.

Google for a Prog called DVD Identifier, it will tell you. (You will see little green boxes coloured in at the top of the prog for every format your burner supports.)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

If you're running Windows Vista you can also use "Windows DVD maker". It's a simple step-by-step process and works very well.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil, guys.

Yup, I'm running Vista so I'll use that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

In the same boat
    Never burned a DVD
    Have a DVD burner on the PC I am using but there is no software installed for it. I bought this pC used and wiped it and just did basic XP install.

I thought I could even drag and drop files to that drive and it would burn even in the same format, but I dont appear to be able to burn anything without software of some description?

Is this correct or am I missing something?

<EDIT>Hmmm... update already...checked Device Manager and I have _NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A listed. After a quick Google, it seems to only support DVD's called DVD+R or +RW. The ones I have here (the blanks) say 8x DVD-R. I assume this is the issue?</EDIT>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

CdBurnerXP will burn them & completely free :)

Even with the drive I have?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

whisht wrote: »
    Even with the drive I have?
    The +/- is a problem. You need to get + DVDs.

• Advertisement

Ah ok. Thanks to both of you. Had been bugging me for a while and never bothered ask about it! Have just installed the software. All I have to do nowis get some +DVD's and I'm sorted ;)

Advertisement