Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build or Hack my own wirelesss router

Options
  • 26-03-2008 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Howdy ,

Want to mess about with the network in the house. I've got some netgear wireless router at the moment. It's not much fun. Just some sort of web interface that lets me set up the firewall and what not.

I'd like to have something with a little more control (Stick squid on it or something like that).

Anyone know where I can find more info about either

A) Building my own wireless router from scratch (I'd want something that isnt much bigger then your standard linksys / netgear - not the size of a desktop)

or

B) A router that can be hacked to pieces (ideally let me stick some form of linux on it)

Cheerio Guv

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

damnyanks wrote: »
    Howdy ,

Want to mess about with the network in the house. I've got some netgear wireless router at the moment. It's not much fun. Just some sort of web interface that lets me set up the firewall and what not.

I'd like to have something with a little more control (Stick squid on it or something like that).

Anyone know where I can find more info about either

A) Building my own wireless router from scratch (I'd want something that isnt much bigger then your standard linksys / netgear - not the size of a desktop)

or

B) A router that can be hacked to pieces (ideally let me stick some form of linux on it)

Cheerio Guv

Depending on what Netgear model it is, you may be able to use DD-WRT on it.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Netgear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

-Whats your budget?

-Routerboard + CF card + Antenna + case + wifi card

-Alix board + CF card + Antenna + case +wifi card

-Wrt54gL + dd-Wrt/openwrt

-Old Pc + wifi cards

just some of the options

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Sans Serif][/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Budget I'm willing to go up to 250 at most I guess

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Budget I'm willing to go up to 250 at most I guess

A Linksys WRT54GL is only €54. €250 would buy a fairly serious bit of router. How many people is this intended to serve?

No idea. Just doing it for fun. As many as possible :D

• Advertisement

No idea. Just doing it for fun. As many as possible :D

Use this then
    http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html

Hah excellent. This is the sort of lark I want to mess around with :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

have fun. for that budget you should have nice options

http://www.aerial.net/shop/

Advertisement