Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless router or modem wireless router ?

Options
  • 25-03-2008 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I have a modem which I got with my Bt broadband over a year ago. Just got a laptop so want to share the broadband connection between my desktop and laptop. It seems like it costs roughly 30/40 extra for a wireless router to have built in modem functionality.

Are there good reasons other than 1 box instead of 2 to get a modem router ? Maybe this has been asked already but tried searching through threads and couldn't find anything. Thanks, JK.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not that I can think of.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Save the environment with only one box? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Easier to setup and configure

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lmijker

Thanks, leaning towards the 1 box approach alright, just to keep the clutter to a min. space behind my pc looks like a big mess of cables :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

If you are going to get a router then the Linksys WRT54g(L)(S) is your best bet but I don't think you can get them with modems built in. Still the best option though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement