Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megalink Elec Target operation

Options
  • 25-03-2008 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, thinking ahead to the AP Nationals in April. They will be shot on Megalink Electronic Targets (DCU), I'm looking to get an idea how the system displays information & what options the user has on what is shown, & best settings to use. It would be good to have some familiarity with this before the day. A search of the web has not shown anything with any detail. Megalink website has manuals but only to users who have purchased.
    Any links or firsthand info would be appreciated.

Joe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Joe

There's an airgun competition in Rathdrum, the week before the nationals start. It'll be on Megalink targets as well and is intended as a 'warm up' for the nationals for those who want it. You could always come to that one to have your questions answered.

The manuals are for setting up the system rather than using it. It's very easy anyway, a 60 second intro before the competition covers everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

There's nothing to it Joe. It starts up automatically with your sighters ready. Once you're done with these, you just press one or two buttons and it moves you onto the match shots. After that, all you have to do is fire 60 good shots :):):p

One point about UCD's setup is that they've put the screens directly in line with the target. For us pistol shooters, this means it's in the way. They're screwed down, but I'm bringing my socket set and moving mine to the side for the Nationals. They had to bolt them down as they didnt want people knocking them off the bench all the time (I presume they're a few hundred euro each)

bigred wrote: »
    There's nothing to it Joe. It starts up automatically with your sighters ready. Once you're done with these, you just press one or two buttons and it moves you onto the match shots. After that, all you have to do is fire 60 good shots :):):p

One point about UCD's setup is that they've put the screens directly in line with the target. For us pistol shooters, this means it's in the way. They're screwed down, but I'm bringing my socket set and moving mine to the side for the Nationals. They had to bolt them down as they didnt want people knocking them off the bench all the time (I presume they're a few hundred euro each)
    They're close to a grand each :eek:

One thing to remember with the monitors, is that the buttons are a bit like the buttons on your mobile phone, in that they do different things depending on what screen you're looking at. When setting up a match, you can increase or decrease the level of functionality available to the shooter.

During a match you can zoom in or out on the target, or you can view all shots on the target or just the last 10. Some people don't like the last 10 option because it refreshes the screen after each shot which can be distracting.

Hi RRPC
    did you see this over on TargetTalk today - one of the guys is speaking of potential issues with calibration of the microphones. I would have thought the technology is rock-solid and not prone to these. Have you seen or read about anything like this?:confused:
    Also I think (uhoh, based on a hunch) that Megalink targets loose calibration with a larger marginal than other scoring targets. In Norway where Megalink targets were used for the Hell Open competition I had to adjust my sights one day very much. So much that a 9,1 to the left actually took a chunk from the white paper.

All acoustic targets loose the calibration over time, but this was a little too much and I've never seen that much differense in a Sius target.
    http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=17889

Hi RRPC
    did you see this over on TargetTalk today - one of the guys is speaking of potential issues with calibration of the microphones. I would have thought the technology is rock-solid and not prone to these. Have you seen or read about anything like this?:confused:

No I haven't. We use the pistol target which is very big (500mm x 500mm) and have used it very succesfully with airguns. I've checked the calibration for 25 yard NSRA using a paper target taped behind the aperture and it scored perfectly.

It's possible I'm sure, but it's also possible that the target referred to had the mask installed incorrectly.

Our targets are still only just over a year old, so it may be that over time they will need to be recalibrated. Many small things can go wrong with a target, some related to the paper advance, others with incorrect installation or setup. All the reports I've heard from users has been very good and they have two of the three stages of ISSF recognition completed.

• Advertisement

Don't worry, I'll be giving them a spin at the match you're hosting in a fortnight :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Due to the fact that the majority of shooters for whom UCDRC are catering are novices, it was deemed necessary for the screens to be bolted to the bench so as to avoid any damage to the screens. They may be unbolted for the Nationals; just ask (nicely! :D ) on the day and it should be for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Might ask in advance myself as well - it's horribly distracting when you lower the pistol after taking your shot and break the lcd of the display with the tip of the barrel!

Was talking to Geoff tonight - apparently they're all being un-bolted for the nationals so we wont need our socket sets!

Ah, excellent!
    Now I just have to worry about shooting the frame :D

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Ah, excellent!
    Now I just have to worry about shooting the frame :D

We'll get rrpc to send down a 25m Megalink for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

From what I saw while moving them down for the Munich selection, it may not make much difference. :p

So you guys shoot 10m AP and I shoot 25m AP? Oh well, I suppose you have to handicap me somehow ;)

Advertisement