Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 HDDVD drive.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,063 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

don't think amazon do electronics to ireland

argos have had it for 50€ recently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

They give international shipping prices for electronics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Looks like it's still available at Argos for €50. It's going to work out more than €50 at Amazon UK and USA when you add delivery, possible customs duty (USA) or sterling conversion.

Yeah, I didn't know they are reduced everywhere. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

will this drive play divx , any upscaling going on ?

• Advertisement

The Xbox already upscales through VGA and it already plays Divx if you downloaded the last update (I think it was in December).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

I might buy this in Argos.. Cant really go wrong at that price. Does anybody know if HD DVD's bought from the US would work on the player or would I have to buy the discs in the UK and Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Dman001 wrote: »
    They give international shipping prices for electronics though.

they won't even ship headphones here anymore, they are classed by Amazon as electronic goods......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Darthrodney

HD-DVDs are region free, so yes this will play internationally bought HD-DVDs ... all of mine were bought in the USA and work without any issues on my XBox 360 HD-DVD drive(its a damn shame blu-ray won as Blu Ray disks sadly ARE region encoded).

But remember normal DVD's will still be region coded and won't magically play on the XBox 360 HD-DVD drive .... I.E. an Irish bought 360 (Region 2) with an XBox 360 HD-DVD drivewill play all HD-DVDs from any region but will only play Region 2 encoded DVD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

No point in getting any of these drives anymore though as most of the major movie studios have ditched the format and gone exclusively with BluRay. Grand for some of the older released but... what's the point really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Its a very cheap way to watch movies in Hi-Def. Beats paying €400 for a blu ray player and €30-40 for a disc.

It may be dead but its still dirt cheap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Achilles wrote: »
    No point in getting any of these drives anymore though as most of the major movie studios have ditched the format and gone exclusively with BluRay. Grand for some of the older released but... what's the point really?

I got the Ibood HDDD player about a month ago and have about 20 HDDVDs now. Its well worth for watching those HDVDS that I havent got already. Just becasue its a dead format doesnt mean the it becomes useless over night. Lots of HDDVDs can be got and is a good way of building up a collection. I like rewatching DVDs so this will be put to go use for many years.

Also while not being applicable to the Xbox HDDVD player the ibood one is a very decent standalone dvd player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

I think we would be wise to start snapping up these 50e players, i will prob get it over the w/e.

i would love to see the departed, terminator 2 on hd!

It could be a good collectors item also cos they will be gone in a few months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dman001 wrote: »
    It could be a good collectors item also cos they will be gone in a few months.

In an age where everything is mass produced it probably wont

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Some HD-DVDs available at DVDi for £5.74 with free delivery.

Thanks for that. DeepDiscount have a few for under $10.

Advertisement